1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lauren Hill story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I get that leeriness. I don't particularly like stories that glorify people with any illness simply for going through it (and all the kids I work with are damn tough for simply getting themselves out of bed everyday, but they can also be bratty, snotty, spoiled rotten and everything in between), and I don't particularly love ones that portray anyone who battles an illness as particularly brave. I really hate the ones that imply fighting hard is why someone survived - you can fight as damn hard as you want against DIPG and still gain almost no survival time. That trope implies people who die somehow didn't fight hard enough, and that's ludicrous.

But in this particular case, Hill was using her story as a platform to raise research dollars for a disease in desperate need of a breakthrough. Her message (and Devon Still's, for that matter) is concentrated on the need for research funding rather than the need for a patient/family to have internal strength of character. There have been lots of breakthroughs in some cancer treatment, but not for DIPG (5-year survival essentially zero) and not really for high-risk neuroblastoma (5-year survival rate 40-50 percent, essentially nil if refractory or relapsed). And those are problems you necessarily have to throw money at to solve.

Also for the record, I am a ma'am. But I also adore FNL and know the username is not all that clear, so worries, hondo.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

To the question you deleted, if not being bothered by a nice moment for a dying teenager makes me superior, then yes, I need to share my special gift.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Obviously. I wanted not to embarrass you publicly like you tried to do with Dick, but you seem to cherish the crown.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

She said she'd rather starve than have white people watch her make a layup, but they cut away from her just before that.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Which one of us are you agreeing with?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Funny, I hadn't seen the #Layup4Lauren Challenge and thought about starting something like it, with the exact premise: spin and do a layup, though I would have spun 10 times and done 3 layups (2 for Lauren's 4 points) and 1 for research.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/10/29/becky-hammon-takes-layup4lauren-challenge-for-lauren-hill/18125905/

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Morris or Bumgarner?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

#ResearchAndStuff

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

<panting and sweating> I think you ... you're ... uh ... you're onto something, LTL <panting and sweating>

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No, just preserving the historical record as some like to alter it post hoc.
    I know that from my own rodeos with some of the participants.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Your friend Lippman, the No. 1 offender, isn't on this thread. So nothing to worry about.

Why don't you preserve his posts? He alters at least 99 percent of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.