1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lauren Hill story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Globetrotters should have let Red Klotz win his final game.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's his own fault. He had 50 years to come up with a defense for the five-person weave.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well said, sir. +1 +1 +1

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think Ma'am would be more appropriate.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, in this day and age of ISIS, Ebola, asshole politicians on both sides and their efforts to make our lives for shit, etc., we can't feel good about a story without your snarky grumping?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm supposed to know that from the screen name "Smash Williams?"

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That many people didn't just show up. Rightly or wrongly, this was a manufactured spectacle, and DW's right to be a little bit unnerved by it.

Friday a friend's wife died after a years-long battle with leukemia. Throughout her ordeal so many friends/acquaintances mentioned her courage, her positive "I'm going to beat this" attitude. Whenever I hear such talk, just as when I come across stories like this, I can't help but think about my father, who died less than a year after his diagnosis. My father wasn't morose about his illness, but neither was he a beacon of positivity. I recall his sister, a nurse, being exasperated with him because he wasn't the stereotypical courageous fighter type. Guess what? Not everybody is.

I'm unnerved by stories like this because I'm leery of them setting some standard for end-of-life heroics that many/most victims can't match. Yes, some poor soul may be inspired to fight a bit harder as a result of Lauren Hill's story. But what about the many more who can't muster that courage? Are they to be doubly cursed, both stricken with a deadly disease and burdened by the knowledge that they're not measuring up?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do we know the team that Lauren played yet?

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's funny how money changes situations.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Ms. Hill made up her mind to define her own destiny.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dick, Smash and DQ, you're singing her life with your words. That's the finest form of tribute.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The story touched me. That said, I can easily understand an uneasiness when presented with it. I certainly don't begrudge anyone that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.