1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lauren Hill story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Fuck you, asshole.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I may have hit a nerve.

3. Dick Whitman

Don't tell me why I started a thread you no-good piece of shit.

I sat in a cancer ward for weeks on end, every weekend, and watched someone waste away. I'm sure many have. My brother-in-law died three hours before my daughter was born. So, yeah, I have a right to have some thoughts on this, whether or not they align with yours.

Fuck yourself. Repeatedly.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Another SJ feel good thread.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Hey, I've probably motivated you to put in an extra mile today. You should thank me.

6. Dick Whitman

Fuck you, you fucking piece of shit. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you.

Go post more about how you don't have any friends. Surprise of the century right there.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"And it's not even 2 a.m." /Craigers

[​IMG]

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Now it's a party!!

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think DW is the new Secret Santa.

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I didn't have a problem with it precisely because she has made a point of using her platform to campaign for awareness/research dollars to pediatric cancer (and specifically pediatric brain cancer, which is not particularly well funded in the world of cancer research). DIPG, the type of cancer she has, is a death sentence with a five-year survival rate that is practically zero, and it usually has a propensity for 5-10 year olds, most of whom are not old enough to practically advocate for more research dollars put towards this disease. The treatments we have right now are ineffective at buying anything more than another 8 months or so. Some die much sooner than that. Because leukemia is by far the most common childhood cancer and medicine has done a great job at improving the cure rate there (over 90 percent now for most types of childhood ALL), I often get the sense many people think all childhood cancers are manageable when there are still incredibly nasty ones like this out there.

Pediatric brain tumors are the most common type of solid tumor in childhood. Three thousand kids are diagnosed with them each year (around 250 with the DIPG variant), and the treatments are often not all that successful. As someone who works with kids with cancer all the time, I'm thrilled to see anyone successfully raise national-level awareness of this disease and actively promote fundraising for research. The same thing goes for Devon Still and his fundraising for neuroblastoma research (650 diagnoses a year). There is something maudlin and macabre about these games, I agree, but the actual diseases are even more macabre, and forcing that into the public consciousness with the goal of raising research dollars does not strike me as a bad thing.

I can see where, especially as an adult, the pressure to be an "inspiration" comes in, and I am generally pretty skeptical when it comes to things like fundraising for Komen (mostly because I don't trust Komen at all). But I can tell you from my work with kids who have cancer they don't seem to have internalized that expectation as much as adults.

11. Mr. Sunshine

You mad, bro?

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

This is what I get for taking a long time to type things out, I see...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.