1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laurel (Miss.) Leader-Call ceasing publication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 26, 2012.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Does that mean that we will see a whole slug of small town dailies move back to weekly? I think the Laurel closing is probably the tip of the iceberg.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Every market is different. Some will. Some won't.

3. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

We do too (within reason), and we're not that much bigger than Laurel. Whatever gets 'em to drop two quarters on the counter, man.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I guess I'm stunned because not so long ago, Laurel had a good product and as far as I knew, was making money. And I'm talking within the last five years.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

We don't. We run every single one of those, plus all of the dead deer/dead turkey/big ole bass pictures that you could shake a stick at. It's local and people eat it up like 5-hour energy at a truck stop, so...

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is this the first death in Laurel not caused by the giant curve on I-59?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

They actually kinda straightened that thing out a couple of years ago. Still not a good idea to blow through there at 70, but it's not quite the death trap it used to be.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

From what I heard, Laurel was still making money, just "not enough."

9. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Amazingly, this story is going to have a very happy ending.
    Emmerich has announced it's going to create a start-up paper in Laurel beginning April 15, and will hire all of the Leader-Call's staff.
    Story says Emmerich wanted to buy the Leader-Call, but couldn't for various legal reasons, so it's starting a new paper called The Chronicle. It'll publish three times a week, on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120331/BIZ/120331016/Start-up-newspaper-announced-Laurel

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wyatt Emmerich has a vision and Laurel is a perfect fit for his Mississippi empire.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

This is probably the best possible scenario to make money. If he buys the paper and cuts the print schedule to three days a week he's vilified in the community. This way he looks like a savior.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Even if his columns meander more than the Mississippi River north of Vicksburg. He does have a vision. I'm glad that there will be some sort of replacement for the Leader-Call in Laurel.

Draft saved Draft deleted