1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laurel (Miss.) Leader-Call ceasing publication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 26, 2012.

1. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

I think it was actually some weeklies that had made serious inroads down there. My old SE is the publisher of said weeklies. Haven't talked to him in a while, but the last time I did (maybe last year sometime) he said his papers were doing quite well and taking a bite out of the Leader-Call's circulation.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

That and the fact that the market in the area is shrinking. I look for the possibility of a couple more papers in the Great State of Mississippi making drastic changes.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Sad news, but kudos for the Steve Forbert reference.

4. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Columbus is getting beaten up by a weekly, too.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Also, it was pretty poorly managed, with a revolving door at the top. An early deadline (10 p.m.) robbed them of what should have been their biggest strength in sports: local preps coverage, and they couldn't keep competent people in charge in that department.

I expect Hattiesburg will pick up a lot of the coverage slack as far as preps are concerned. They had mostly abandoned that area in recent years, but there's an opportunity there to pick up some readers, so they'd be foolish not to jump on it.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why are the weaklies beating up on dailies. Are the weeklies free and a paper with paid circulation can not compete? I know the small town dailies have limited resources but why would a weekly offer a better product?

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good question Lancey. It crossed my mind too.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's so much easier to make a small town weekly profitable vs. a small town daily. The print costs alone are a huge difference. Also, many small town dailies rely quite a bit on wire copy and syndicated content to fill space. Weeklies have an easier time keeping it entirely local, which appeals to small town readers.

Besides, everybody likes to rag on the ole local paper. When a new product comes in people might see it as better, whether it is or not. Advertisers included.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Web isn't helping the situation at small town dailies.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And weeklies don't balk at running full team pictures of lil Johnny's Dixie Youth team, as dailies typically do ...

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dailies that size usually run those pictures.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I know we do. We'd be foolish not to.

Draft saved Draft deleted