1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laura Bush's Book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 28, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's out before W.'s and might be the more revealing of the two.

From the Times:

The poisoning thing is crazy. Either something really serious happened, or she's very paranoid.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Viktor Yushchenko says it's very possible.

[​IMG]

Before poisoning After poisoning

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So does Barry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Did the poisoning cause him to put his hands on the German chancellor?

[​IMG]

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

And of course, her husband NEVER called his adversaries names. ::)

Not sure I would have gone there if I were her.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Remember when that guy was supposed to be the great hope for democracy? The New Yorker had an interesting article last month (subscription required; I'd link otherwise) about how he spent most of his time focusing on raising awareness of Soviet atrocities under Stalin, rather than on, you know, governing. And then he got voted out in favor of the guy who would have won the fixed election in 2004. Sigh...

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hey, when you're a spoiled, petulant, Bubble-Boy, Mama's-Boy, fratboy who
    has the drydrunk personality model down to a science, why would anyone
    expect anything else?

He'll be breaking his arm patting his precious ("I'M qualified!") simple self on
    the back, for certain.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I have to admit, I always wondered what the woman thought of those years, as she seemed to be a rather normal person trapped in a surreal environment.

The excerpts I've read sound very unenlightening and apologist, however, so I think I'll skip it.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I thought this part was pretty interesting, too:

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really strange - when story first broke in 2000 it had the guy driving doorless jeep that he was thrown out of. I remember one of news shows even did a piece on in showing the intersection and discussing Jeep.

Laura Bush Recalls Painful Past

The Associated Press
    Thursday, March 2, 2000; 7:15 p.m. EST

PROVIDENCE, R.I. –– Laura Bush, wife of GOP presidential candidate George W. Bush, on Thursday recalled the pain of a 1963 accident that killed her boyfriend, saying "it was crushing."

"All I can say about that (is) it was a very, very, tragic accident I was involved in when I was 17 years old, almost 40-something years ago," Bush said. "It was a terrible accident. It was terrible for everyone involved."

Bush said the grief remains.

"I know this as an adult, and even more as a parent, it was crushing ... for the family involved and for me as well," she said.

Bush would not comment further and quickly resumed talking about her husband.

The accident occurred Nov. 5, 1963, when Bush was talking to a friend while she was driving to a party in her hometown of Midland, Texas, the New York Post reported.

At an intersection, she apparently failed to see her boyfriend, Mike Douglas, driving south. The vehicles collided and Douglas was thrown from his doorless Jeep, breaking his neck. He died instantly.

Midland officials would not release the full accident report, referring Freedom of Information requests for the document to the attorney general of Texas. He has until May 15 to decide if he will make the report public.

An abbreviated version of the report concluded neither Douglas or Bush could be blamed for the accident, the Post reported.

© Copyright 2000 The Associated Press

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The excerpt doesn't mention it was her boyfriend. Holy crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted