1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laughing in the face of a loss or why reporters get a bad rap

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As my first SE told me...

"You get better quotes when they're pissed off."

2. Yeah I would... Linked or not, I may get fifteen minutes of fame, but the (pitiful) paycheck remains the same. I don't think Yahoo Sports will come calling because of this.
    In terms of stories going big - I'd rather have a breaking story (like Angola and the high school imposter) than being part of the story like this guy for asking a shitty questions.
    I think more people will think he's a douche rather than a resepcted journo for the questioning.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I was basically picking nits with whoever said it was unfortunate for the writer.....

I'm bored.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, he never answered him. He also appeared to continually deny that he was laughing.
    The reporter phrased the question diplomatically and also seemed to give Anderson an out by asking him to explain the context under which he might have been seen laughing. Instead of behaving like a grown-up, Anderson acted like a brat.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Why I rarely come on here anymore -- I'd be really embarrassed to question the professionalism of somebody of Kent Somers' stature if I didn't even know who the hell he was.
    If you don't understand that having your team's quarterback shown laughing in the middle of an awful loss on national TV is a story, you really ought to go back to typing up the high school track agate.
    Kent asked the right questions the right way. He did nothing that needs to be second-guessed by third-stringers.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And by the way: the hell it's not fodder. I'd have ripped my beat guy a new one if he hadn't asked the question.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

DiMaggio never showed emotion either. Didn't seem to affect his image.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But Somers wasn't covering a politician. He was covering the Cardinals game that night and the question had to be asked.

9. If you're backing Somers and defending this thing I doubt you would be embarassed by much of anything.

I have no idea who Somers is or what sort of background he has. And I don't care.
    Guaran-fucking-tee you scan the sidelines of a losing NFL (or NBA, NHL or pro, semi-pro or am.) team's and you'll find guys laughing and smiling. And it that's the story in the AM edition you better head for the gossip/entertainment section.

Fixed ..for Moddy.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

YOU'RE not helping your argument with "your" and "addition" in your post. Just saying.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you think Kent went too far, that's fine, but I'd rather have a reporter who pushes too hard than one that doesn't ask follow-up questions and never challenges players or coaches with their questions.

12. On most things I would agree. On sharing an inside joke with a teammate on the sidelines of lost cause - Much do about northing.
    What's next brow-beating the lineman about chewing gum in the huddle?
    Sorry man this is pretty trivial stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted