1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latest newspapers dropping print editions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jan 3, 2020.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I assume when these papers drop a day from the print cycle they do lower weekly subscription rates. So the reduction in frequency is effectively a price increase. Is my assumption correct?

2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Newhouse has not put up paywalls while reducing printed days for some of its papers.

3. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

The statewide Arkansas Democrat-Gazette is almost completely a digital product now with subscribers reading a daily enhanced, hybrid E-edition paper either through traditional means (desktop version through the website, etc) or on iPads given to them as part of their $34/month subscription. For the time being at least, there is still some printed papers available in the Little Rock region at $2 daily, $3 Sunday. All subscribers also can receive a printed Sunday paper. So far, this is a successful operation. Time will tell whether it continues to work out and prevent any newsroom job losses.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Depends on how you interpret it, I suppose. When we went from four to two days, we extended every current subscribers' term so that they got the same number of issues they were paying for. If other papers didn't do that, then it was effectively a price increase. On the other hand, we had a decrease in revenue in the short term because the time before a current subscription expired doubled.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But the stuff is still available online. Plus other stuff that would never have fit into a print edition.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What’s the ADG doing with all the data it is getting off those iPads?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted