1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

latest from mike freeman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jun 12, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

nothing major here, but even when i agree with his premise i enjoy nitpicking at freeman:

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11849129

my point: the last and only time the jets won the super bowl (jan. 12, 1969) richard nixon was NOT the president. freeman's point would've been hammered home even more had he checked and discovered LBJ was still the prez. nixon wasn't inaugurated until january 20. ;D ;D ;D

c'mon, i'm a pretty fair copy editor, no?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Freeman must have been using John Kerry's calendar.

One thing that Ryan gives the Jets that they have not had in a long time is a bit of a swagger. Now they must back it up on the field, but they are off to a good start.

I'd much rather listen to Ryan than the sullen Mangini -- who treated every event like he was a POW.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Thank you, and fixed. :)

Sincerely,
    One of the would-be fact checkers

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

glad to help, sf. please think of me kindly when my newspaper days end and i'm scrambling for employment. ;) ;) ;)

too bad you fixed it so quickly, though. less time for others to pile on, darnit! now it looks like i concocted the whole thing. once again, mike's editors save his butt.

bravo, my friend. bravo.

5. woodstein

woodstein New Member

Nixon was inaugurated Jan. 20, like every president since FDR

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

True. The original post is wrong, too. Four days less wrong, perhaps, but still dead wrong on the date.

BTW, pretty cool site:

http://tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/siteindex/1969-1/

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

fixed. thanks. ;)

8. maberger

maberger Member

so, just to be clear:
    the guy who complained about the facts being wrong, got the facts wrong himself?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ironic, but not like ray-eee-aaain on your wedding day. ;D

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

sheesh, i misremembered the date after looking it up and fixed it upon correction. cut me some slack, friends.

at least i looked it up. mikey obviously didn't bother. i had the correct prez at the timee point, which was sort of the point. mikey didn't.

spare me the wisecracks for the times i trult merit them -- which are often supplied. you can bank on it. i'm much more careful with my work than i am with leisurely posts on a message board. appreciate y'all keeping me sharp regardless. ;) ;) ;)

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's still a great catch. And Shockey's assertion went out to a (slightly) smaller audience ...

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

no. the GUY got the fact right. the precise date was besides the point. but i was happy to fix it.

Draft saved Draft deleted