1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latest evidence in the "cheerleading as a sport" argument

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 16, 2010.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

For research purposes only.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

No, it's anyWho!

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Since I'm apparently the only one who knows the difference, this is not the type of cheerleading that is trying to be classified as a sport.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Do you really want to argue that it's not all the same?

5. x2

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The first entry in the comments thread, from "sandwich bob" is inappropriate comedy gold ...

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm going to assume that means it's NSFW

8. novelist_wannabe

I said it before on here, but I'll repeat: I was asked to cover a competitive cheerleading event once. When they wouldn't give me the scores, I walked out.

I have a daughter, and I have a strong desire not to have her marginalized, but I also have a desire not to have her objectified. I'm extremely glad she chose something other than cheerleading.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No type of cheerleading is a sport.

The function of cheerleading is to have your cute young daughter dress up in moderately hot to completely slutty outfits and go out and shake her stuff for the ego gratification for the young studs on the boys' football and basketball teams.

The artificial attempt to camouflage it as a competitive sport, with scored routines and team competitions, is simply an atttempt by its proponents to get their fingers in the varsity sports budget and divert money from other sports in which girls can actually compete and be judged on the accuracy of their jump shots, corner kicks, line drives, etc etc, rather than the bounciness of their booties.

10. novelist_wannabe

What parent in their right mind allows their 7-year-old to do that routine? Obviously, if Abigail Breslin can do a strip tease to Superfreak, this is OK . hmmm

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Here we go again!!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39756458/ns/today-today_people/

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Why is this even an argument? Can you see this shit on the sports page?

"To shake my booty like that is an insult," the team captain, Bambi Bomble said as her team faced the reality of a put up or shut up risque performance to combat the challenge of Central High this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted