1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

latest bosox-yanks brouhaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 31, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

Indeed i do. and if you have yet to see a replay, i'd urge you to do so. 'cause there ain't a doubt about it.

as we've all complained for a looong time, umpiring really seems to have gone to spit. i remember fondly the days when replays prove just how uncannily good they were. not perfect (hello, deckinger) but how much their errors were the exception. now they seem more the rule.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hadn't heard about this. Can these teams please get some coverage?

3. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

I love baseball but these games are brutal on TV, I fell asleep during the Sunday night game and last night found myself flipping between some good Seinfeld episodes, Coming to America and other games.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is how the Home Plate umpire was overruled. He called it a swing, but the 3rd base ump called it no swing. Usually its the other way around, the home plate ump calls a swing and they protest down the line to see if the batter went around or not.

Part of the problem is all the players take pitch after pitch hoping to wear the starter out by the fifth inning. SWING THE EFFIN BAT ALREADY.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The 12-second rule isn't being enforced.

The Yankees-Red Sox Sunday night game last month, those fuckers were taking as many as 30 seconds between pitches.

You can't run a game like that. You just can't.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

WRONG.

The home plate umpire doesn't call it a swing. They ask the first (or in this case) the third base umpire if the batter went around.

If the home plate umpire calls it a swing, then that is what it is.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't want to go through the trouble of finding a replay, but I'll take your word that it was a swing...

However, if indeed the 3B ump overruled the HP ump, then something is wrong. That should never happen. It's the first thing you learn in school. A non-swing can be overruled, but not a swing. There had to be something more there (at least I hope).

And they are still the best of the best, for the most part. Just a lot more tools available to analyse their performance, like in any other sport. But they make it so difficult to become a professional umpire, I don't know how to fix it. No one should have to pay $4,000 just to get a chance at the job. I think open tryouts would be a better idea. I'm trying out for a college association next week, and that makes more sense to me. It's the same with football. You go through the ranks, tryout and get your chances.

8. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

I can't stand either team, and they're pretty much interchangeable now that Boston has won the World Series. They both spend ungodly amounts of money. I always root for any other matchup in the playoffs than Boston/New York. The rivalry got boring after 2004.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3:59 according to the box score in my morning paper which had it in the paper delivered to my house.

BTW the 163rd game of the 1978 season was 2:52

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Exactly. Unfortunately, baseball sold its national TV soul years ago to the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs (and a lesser degree, the Braves and Dodgers) to the point that the casual fan who doesn't have a local market team doesn't see any other teams.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The ratings for Yanks-Red Sox remain far higher than for any other baseball games. Sad to say, most television viewers are complete sheep, even sports viewers. They like watching what they've always watched. Their opinions on sports are what ESPN tells 'em to think.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Exactly. And I think it comes back to haunt baseball in the postseason. Since they've been spoon-fed Yankees-Red Sox, they might not know about Texas or Milwaukee and therefore not watch the postseason if there's no Yankees or Red Sox. But what is baseball during the Selig regime if not short-sellling the future?

Draft saved Draft deleted