1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

latest bosox-yanks brouhaha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 31, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

everyone's at fault: cervelli is an a--hole. i hate his act. it's bad enough when really good players hot-dog; even worse when guys who are lucky to be in the majors put their 'stamp' on this rivalry.

at the same time, lackey is a selfish a--hole. intentionally nailing the leadoff hitter in the 7th inning of a close game? this has largely been lost in the sports-radio debate this has sparked on wfan this morning. i love it when this selfish macho baseball bullspit costs the pitcher seeking 'retribution' for an opponent clapping his hands as he stomps on home plate to celebrate his rare big moment.

they're both idiots.

and the umpiring in mlb continues to be dumbfoundingly atrocious. in a pretty important spot last night, trying to wrap up a rare win over boston, mo rivera hit boston's catcher to put men on first and second. but the batter clearly swung at the cutter that hit him. girardi went nuts and was tossed.

i can only imagine if the next batter tied the game with a 3-run homer instead of lining out to left to end the game. yankeesnation would be burning boston by now.

sorry to create another bosox-yanks thread but... it's what i do, i guess. thank goodness jeter saved the day by going oh-fer-five to lead the yanks to victory, right, mankster?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You forgot the whole "5-2 game that lasted four hours" issue.

Selig's got to tell the umpires and both teams to move the game along. No 5-2 game should last four hours.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yankees-Red Sox games are literally unwatchable by anyone with a day job. I mean, it's 9:15 and that's the end of the fourth inning? Screw that, I have better things to do with my life, and I love baseball.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It all started in the first inning when Sabathia hit Ellsbury and Ellsbury proceeded to wipe out Jeter at second.
    I could easily see something breaking out tonight. Unless there are pregame warnings, I can entirely see Beckett backing somebody off the plate with a message pitch.
    There's been some simmering tension since Sabathia threw at Big Papi in New York. The Yankee coaching staff is obviously spoiling for a fight, even more so than the players.
    If we make it through this series without fisticuffs, I attribute it entirely to Youkilis being on the DL. With roster expansion, Girardi would've called up some jobber from Scranton to throw at him.

Four-hour game? I blame the Sox for leaving 16 men on base.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Lackey is the ugliest dude in baseball.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It would be really dumb of Beckett to throw at somebody tonight. These two teams are entering suspension territory for their next donnybrook. Doesn't mean he won't, of course.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Delighted to see that Wegner dumped the two whiniest people in MLB last night.

Of course, Girardi has absolutely no choice but to get dumped.

Enough of the mediocre arguments........Give me the Joe Maddon v. Balk-a-day-Bob Davidson anyday.

"Fuck me.......no FUCK YOU!"

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

agree 1,000 percent that these games are unbearably long. even worse when school's in session for the young fans. loved message sent with so many fans leaving in droves after the 7th inning -- a commentary on the late hour AND the wild-card lock rendering these potentially classice extent., '78 pennant race-type games virtually meaningless.

the latter just goes to show the animous between these teams is still there to a large extent. the players know full well only the pride of finishing first is at stake but there is still an edge to these games. nothing close to back in the day, though. and for me, 'back in the day' means fisk vs. munson, nettles vs. lee, real brawls on the field. classic. ;D

oh, and beckett's dumb enough not to give a spit.

question: i get that plenty of fans are sick and tired of having bosox-yanks shoved down their throats all season. but come the postseason, would you like them to go at it again in the alcs or are you praying for another matchup?

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'd love to see a replay of this clear swing... Do you even know what constitutes a swing?

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

A fight would be one of the few reasons to watch those 4.5 hour marathons of pain.

And Joe Girardi needs to shut the fuck up. He's quickly becoming the Tony La Russa of the American League. "They threw at us!" "They won't play when we tell them to!" He's about one step away from screaming "I'm telling!" and then catching a cab to the MLB offices in New York, walking into the offices, laying on the ground and throwing a kicking and screaming fit. And when that doesn't work, he'll hold his breath. And when THAT doesn't work, he'll say he'll be a good boy and play nice. Until he doesn't get his way again, at least.

In closing.. yeah, fuck the Yankees. And the Red Sox for that matter.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

And Tony La Russa, for good measure.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Dammit, you're right. Can't believe I forgot that.

Fuck Tony La Russa.

Draft saved Draft deleted