1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latest BIGSPORTSWRITER rant: SATs, racism and Derrick Rose

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sm72, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've read a lot of Jay, and I've read a good amount of BIGSPORTSWRITER, and to put this bluntly, I don't think Jay has the intellect that BSW does. BSW has gone on a number of beautiful tangents about the business (particularly the one about objectivity) that are simply on a higher plane than what I ever saw from JM. I just don't see it.

2. sm72

sm72 Member

Same here. Loved the objectivity one you noted. It's the reason I started following him in the first place.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I've never heard jay's name attached to BSW, not that I would, I just haven't...but I truly don't think he'd be able to resist the anonymous opportunity to take out anyone who ripped him over the last few years, which is to say, everyone.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Based on the adoration this guy's Twitter feed has received among sports journos, I would love if it turned out that it was just an expert troll job by someone who is despised, like a Marriotti or a Whitlock. Alas, while both of those guys can be logical guesses, so can many others.

But yes, I do hope it's someone who, when he is eventually revealed, turns out to not fulfill the wishes of his fans. I doubt it will be the "Oh . . . OK . . . I guess" reaction I had when I started learning the secret identities of many of the individuals here, but it would be fun if something that has been somewhat built up turned out to be a letdown.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Your data might be a little off because you are only following the players who were drafted.

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3052:2005-underclassmen&catid=136:early-entry-underclassmen&Itemid=122

There are a lot more misses on this list from one season than hits.

But the system is what it is. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

6. Double Down

Please allow me to sum up every single post you've made in the last month, about any subject, anywhere: Everyone who has any romantic attachment or non-cynical feelings about anything is hopelessly naive, and I would love to see them slip on a metaphorical banana peel (or a real one!) so I could stand over them and cackle in derision, an act that gives me an erection.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Sorry that I don't practice the same type of hero worship that you do. Guess that's some sort of crime, or something. Really enjoyed watching you park your lips firmly on this guy's butt on Twitter.

You don't want to start this all up again, do you? Saying one thing on PM and another in public smacks of shameless disingenuousness. Public vs. private personas and all that.

8. Double Down

I haven't said on PM that I wouldn't say to your face. You were an asshole then, you're an asshole here. It's part of your charm. That doesn't mean we can't be friendly, or that we can't debate stuff. Your whole PM -- since we're sharing them now -- was essentially about how people like me (whatever the fuck that means) should be able to take a little shit now and then. So I'm giving you shit back. I thought that was acceptable. Or are you too delicate to take shit? Let me know.

You're a dick. It's what you do well. Sometimes it's entertaining. On every thread here, you make sure we all know how pathetic and sad anyone who stays in journalism is, or how pathetic and sad it is if anyone "worships" anyone else in the business, because a rugged libertarian badass like yourself worships no one. I happen to see the world differently. Whatever friendly relationship we have, Norin, it's going to be a two-way street where I'm allowed to fuck with you back, because I don't appreciate watching you just mock all the things I enjoy and expect I should take it.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

That's not really a true representation of our conversation. It's a Cliff's Notes version of a certain aspect, but it doesn't really do the whole thing justice. Among other things, you may have forgotten the part where we said we should probably just PM when we see the other one acting like an asshole.

But true to form, you do so enjoy doing the "I'll get him!" guns blazing thing. That's fine; a bit of drama on the board never hurt anyone. Can be fun. Wondered when you were going to be ready to throw down based on the very idea that Twitter Sports Writer God could possibly be someone who hasn't always represented what is perceived as the Best Aspects Of What Journalists Are Supposed To Be.

Your second graph is incorrect to the point of me asking if you've ever really read any of my posts. Posting with your heart and your need to Stand Up For Something Bigger Than Yourself, rather than your considered thoughts, as it were. Anyone who knows me somewhat (hey! Like you should, by now!) knows that, well . . . it's not really worth explaining my thoughts on journalism AGAIN on this forum, is it?

OK, I'm probably a dick. And my skill at that has been noted by people from my wife to my bosses. But the rest was notably off-base and fit a narrative you preferred to promote rather than actual reality.

10. Double Down

But the rest was notably off-base and fit a narrative you preferred to promote rather than actual reality.

Golly gee, did some exaggerate and misrepresent you to get under your skin? That must have been horrible for you!

As soon as I stop sucking Narrative Writer dick and wipe my mouth on my Superhero Journalism cape, I'll be happy to comfort you — if it helps. Because you know, in real life, that's exactly how I am. And that's why you it's no big deal to imply such things about me frequently here. Because it's oh so true!

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Ha! You've been holding on to that one, keeping it in the chamber for JUST the right moment, for how long? That was a bit on the incoherent side.

I'm pretty sure we established previously that I don't think you're an ass-kisser. But you certainly engage in a bit of Hero Worship, as do many. Not sure that's under debate here.

Maybe I do too. Not like I have a post history or anything.

In any event, when you're ready to grow up a bit and cease this mode of angrily smearing shit on the wall, you just let me know.

12. Double Down

Let me know when you're done editing and re-editing this post, and I'll find some time to respond. Right now, it keeps changing like a digital billboard.

Draft saved Draft deleted