1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latest BIGSPORTSWRITER rant: SATs, racism and Derrick Rose

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sm72, Sep 14, 2012.

1. sm72

sm72 Member

I think the exact point is that there are no relevant examples. We'll have Josiah Turner next year (was heading to SMU) who was great in high school and could be a solid test case.

Another thing that might be good to look at in this instance is players coming to the States so they can be noticed basketball-wise: Karl Towns, who's from the Dominican Republic and on Kentucky's radar for 2015, for example, or Andrew Wiggins, the best prep player in the nation, who's from Canada. There are other current players, as well, like Hanner Perea and Peter Jurkin at Indiana, or Moses Ayegba at Georgetown, who only have a remote shot at eventual NBA draft status because they came to the U.S. for college.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

the SATs are a point of comparison. Everyone takes the same test at the same time on a predisclosed subject. They don't need to measure knowledge because that's not their purpose. Grades are bullshit. And political. At lower performing schools the kids that just show up and do moderately well are given As. At high performing schools grades are dispensed with great care and great grades are require intense work.

And Rose is an uneducated moron, aside for basketball.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No. I would like to see more elite high schoolers test it out, but it's a risk, if only because it's an unknown compared to college. The safer bet would be to sign with a D-League team, but then you're playing against consistently strong competition and risk being exposed in the same way high schoolers were repeatedly exposed in their first few seasons at the NBA level. Additionally, though the sneaker deals and such would be nice for a big-enough name, the D-League pays like crap, so it wouldn't make much financial sense for anything less than a top-shelf prospect.

The college route is the way to go right now because it helps players build their brands by dominating competition of the same age on a national stage. Anthony Davis wouldn't be nearly as ballyhooed or rich had he went to Europe, played sparingly for an elite team there, then left and been the top pick. But the ideal route would be for NBA teams to be able to invest in players out of high school who could then develop as needed in the D-League or on an NBA bench or elsewhere.

4. sm72

sm72 Member

Very good point.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Josiah Turner is not a test case at all for this issue--which is high school 5 star prospects who, because of the one and done rule, choose overseas instead of going to college. There've only been two guys that I know of who fit in that group--Jennings and Tyler. Turner, on the other hand, DID go to college and, after a mediocre and trouble-marred freshman year at Arizona, turned pro. That is something quite different.

And, just as point of factual correction from your prior post, I'd point out that Karl Towns did not come here "from" the Dominican Republic. Instead, he's a U.S. citizen born and raised in New Jersey who was eligible for DR dual citizenship only because his mother is Dominican.

6. sm72

sm72 Member

You win that one, Stoney. My mistake.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'm confused here. How much heat did Rose really get for the SAT thing? Last I checked he's one of the most popular players in the NBA and the most popular athlete in Chicago. He's widely viewed as humble, genuine and the perfect face of his hometown team. So who's criticizing him?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The NCAA wanted him in college? The NCAA can't compel the kid to do anything. If Rose had joined a barnstorming tour for a year, what was the NCAA going to do?

If the NCAA wanted him in college for promotional purposes, it follows that the governing body wouldn't give a kid like Rose a second notice. It'd let him skate on through.

As far as the NBA not wanting him right out of high school, take that up with the NBA.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Take it up with the Players Union

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Go create one then. I'm serious. Nothing's stopping anybody from doing it. John Calipari certainly could. I'd actually respect him then. As it is, he happily uses Kentucky's money to cobble together a team full of one-year mercenaries that he won't allow to return for their second seasons even if they really wanted to.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ukbeat/2012/05/31/anthony-davis-talks-new-orleans-with-dan-patrick/

<i> “He tells me,” Davis said. “I walked in his office … he said, ‘Look, Ant, you have to leave. You did too many great things this year, won a national championship, got every award. There’s no point in you coming back.’ I started laughing, but there was no smile on his face.”</i>

When a coach is telling a kid there's no point in them being in college, sorry, that's where I lose respect. You hate college so much, go coach in the pros. Go create a minor league. And let's be real careful declaring that we know what kids like Anthony Davis are capable of in life.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Players Union? No. The players -- who are run by their agents -- want no age limit (or 18, which is meaningless). The scouts didn't want to deal with the BS anymore. The NBA wants two years. The players want zippo.

Calipari's offered up some weird deal where the NCAA covers the insurance for certain players, but he has to know the NCAA is governed by Title IX, and can't play that game. Talk about a nightmare, too: Yeah, by all means, let's have the NCAA determining who's a worldwide elite player worthy of insurance. I mean, coaches wouldn't fuck with that system at all.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

A tangent here, but is it common knowledge that BIGSPORTSWRITER is Jay Mariotti, or is this a Jay clone? Because he writes exactly like Jay used to write. I'd never heard of him -- the twitter guy -- before this, so I'm well out of the loop.

However, because of it I did come across this, which is one of the rawest, most haunting and (eventually) funniest things I've ever read about suicide, and I thank the big guy for posting it:
    http://thechrisgethardshow.tumblr.com/post/31345619495/for-gethard-anonymous-asks-gethard-i-know-youve

Draft saved Draft deleted