1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

latest absent friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jul 10, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

the father of a good friend of littlest son of shockey passed away this afternoon after a long bout with stomach cancer. guy (his name) was about 60, i'd guess. he had and his wife have two boys out of college but their youngest, terence, is just 13 -- a late life surprise, i guess. terence is a big kid who's the sweetest giant on the planet, like his dad.

guy was the one, when a bunch of buds chipped in to get me a 37-inch flat screen tv for my 50th last year, snuck in and measured the space and made the purchase. so i think of him always.

just so sad. needed to share. thanks for listening.

2. Sad to hear it, Shockey.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

sorry to hear that, Shock...

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Thirteen is way too young to lose a dad. Just so so sad.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's been brutal 'round here. a year ago at this time, a couple who had just moved in two house down with sons 8 and 6 had the husband die in his sleep. not sick or anything. just died in his sleep.

youngest shockey spends one afternoon a week playing with the boys so the mom can run some errands. it's all just soooo sad.

health is EVERYTHING. all we can do for terence is be there for him. he's such a sweet kid. his older brothers will take on much of the load, but boys that age sure need their dad.

guy was given last rites yesterday. he me was at home. met with each of his sons earlier to say their goodbyes. as sick as he's been we don't think terence was told his father was dying until recently, but kids have a way of sensing this stuff.

sigh.

we'll all simply do what we can.

thanks, all.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

My condolences, Shockey.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Sorry, Shockey.
    And many prayers to the kid, he'll need them.

8. Lost my dad a tad before my 13th birthday.

But you can never say you know how they feel, because you just don't. It's different for everyone. It hit me hardest when I was 19, then again when my son was born.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

bingo.

no one knows exactly what terence is/will be going through. all we can do is be there for him.

10. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Damn.

I feel for ya man. Not much else I can say.

11. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Sorry, shockey, that's awful. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted