1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late shows return

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought it was the Late Show with Dave Marasch.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Leno seemed to forget those roots as soon he he took over "Tonight."

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Conan has writers. It was part of the deal with Letterman.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You have him confused with Craig Ferguson.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a day late to this, but I noticed on Letterman Wed. night that one of the so-called audience members asking questions was the same gal who asked an audience question a few months ago (a rerun of that show was last week). This was an attractive blonde who had enough of a presence at the mike to pass as NOT just another random audience member from BFE.

So do talk shows plug in actors in some of these "audience" bits? That's kinda bothersome to me, not in a boycott-Letterman way but just as annoyance.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. It's kind of like how SNL did (or does) those question bits. Everything was planned there, and it probably is on the Late Show.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The main reason the late-nighters other than Letterman and Ferguson have come back without striking a deal is so the rest of the staff on their shows don't get layed off.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Carson Daly (not that anyone watches him) never stopped doing original shows without his writers, and asked viewers to call in jokes to a "joke hotline." Now that's despicable.

Also, how great do you feel if you were once honored to receive a key to New York City, only to tune in last night and see Bloomberg give a key to Letterman's beard?

9. Dedo

Dedo Member

Most of those "audience members" are writers, interns and/or bit actors, and it's not exactly a secret. It's sort of an in-joke for people who watch the shows regularly. The funniest part is Dave's reaction to their ridiculous backstories ("I'm a plumber from Chula Vista and I raise turtles in my spare time.")

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

When he worked for Letterman early in his career, Chris Elliott was the greatest audience plant ever. And Conan's got a guy now who's really good -- love the schtick where he gets offended and canoes out of the studio and off a cliff.

11. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

leno still does stand up once a month in l.a. saw him a last year when visiting friends. letterman stopped being funny in 1986.

12. Dedo

Dedo Member

I disagree with Republicans who believe in trickle-down economics and laws against gay marriage, but I count several of them as my friends. Show me a person who believes in the brilliance of the BCS, or that Elvis is still alive, or that 9-11 was a government-generated conspiracy, or that Britney Spears is, in fact, a greater musical genius than Bob Dylan, and I might have my doubts, but I can still find enough redeeming value in their intellect and/or personality to carry on a decent conversation.

But as for a guy who actually believes that Jay Leno has ever, at any moment even in his wildest celeb-slurping dreams, been funnier than David Letterman?

Sorry, but we've got nothing to say to each other. That's where I draw the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted