1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late paycheck concern

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishhack2009, Jan 2, 2010.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

27 checks? Wow. We only get 26 but on the last check of a 3-check month (happens twice a year), we don't have the insurance withheld. Last Wednesday's paycheck was the third check of the second 3-check month, so I'll have about 50 extra bucks.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This.

If your company complains, tell them it's collateral until you get paid.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The parent company of the paper I work for emerged from bankruptcy last year. No paychecks were late.

Something in your case is not right. Please let us know what happens Monday.

4. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

if it's the company i think you're talking about, they also bounced a mileage check last week with someone I knew... probably just a screw-up like you or I typically make with overdrawing an account but definitely not what folks like to see right after a Chapter 11 filing is announced... the company had the money in this person's hands the next day so at least they made up for their gaffe.. and the paychecks weren't late...

5. It could be as simple as an end-of-year accounting deal. Our "year" ended on Dec. 27, so the last four days of December are paid in 2010. It's just because that's when the end of the two-week pay cycle fell, nothing sinister.

But soon as you get it, cash that check.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

If they are bridging payroll to Monday ---CASH THAT CHECK QUICK.

They didn't pay on Thursday because they didn't have it. It's that simple. Companies don't hold onto payroll late.

I would run for the hills. They are trying to find some funding. I would also take some computers home. I would grab any asset I could as collateral.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So what happened today, Fishhack? Did you get your check today?

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Hey guys...

Just an update ... we did get our checks on Monday. They were dated Friday ... still not sure what the rationale was...going to stop by the publisher's office today and ask what the deal was.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Better cash it first.

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Oh, don't worry ... that's the plan ....

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hope you don't get: "Fishhack, glad you stopped by...bring me your playbook."

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted