1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late paycheck concern

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishhack2009, Jan 2, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Hey guys...

I have a concern I want to get some feedback on ... The newspaper company I work for just filed Chapter 11 last week. We were assured at the time that the filing would not affect pay or benefits.

We were due to get paid yesterday, Jan. 1. We were informed yesterday that we'll get our checks on Monday ... publisher claiming the delay is due to not wanting to mess up W-2s.

If work is done in 2009, doesn't it need to go on 2009's W-2? My instincts tell me this is an accounting gimmick and possibly a sign of a company with cash-flow issues.

Thoughts? Am I right to be concerned?
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Everywhere I have worked, payroll goes in a day early on holiday weeks.
  3. fishhack2009

Me too... which is the main cause for my concern...
  4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If we have a holiday fall on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of a given week, we don't get our check until Thursday (our paydays are Wednesday). The reason is supposed to be so that office managers and the payroll department don't have to sweat playing catch-up during the week. Whatever.

In your case, Monday is the next business day. This was probably just so your payroll department didn't have to come in and work on Saturday (which might result in overtime, which your company might not want to pay right now). If you don't get your check Monday, that's when I'd start to worry.
  5. fishhack2009

That makes sense...but Fridays are our usual paydays...
  6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Bull. It's the same amount of work, whatever day you have to get paid on. Heaven forbid the folks in the accounting office might have to work past 5 p.m.

Rent checks are typically due the first of the month. You don't fuck around with people's finances just so that the accounting folks don't have to work an extra half-hour.
  7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

So you're saying the company should care about us as people instead of the bottom line? What alternate universe are you posting from and how do I get there?
  8. Screwball

Screwball Member

Whatever the issue is, bankruptcy should not be the reason. I work for a newspaper chain in bankruptcy and the checks have continued to come on time. (The bankruptcy court and creditors probably would be interested to know that the paper can't pay its bills on time even after debt payments have been frozen.)
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And if your company didn't want to make your check available on Friday, then they should have done it on Thursday. They should have processed the checks a day earlier.

Like Apeman says, I would be more worried if the check didn't come on Monday. But I'd still be pissed that the company held your money for three extra days, drawing interest on it as well. A professional company doesn't fuck things up for their employees. Your company isn't acting professional
  10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

When I transferred to DC my company screwed up and I didn't get paid. I submitted all late charges overdrafts etc and made them reimburse me.

Now your company is up to no good. Our normal payday was scheduled for 1 Jan but they paid us a day early. Not only that by since that was paycheck 27 this year there were no withholdings for insurance. So we got a small bonus that way.
  11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think what you should do is take a few computers home, just in case the place closes and you don't get paid, you can sell them to make up for it.....
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That was the first of two nice surprises this week.

Today I got my escrow analysis from mortgage company. Mortgage is dropping $50 a month in 2010, and I got a $780 check because of a surplus in the escrow (thanks to lower homeowners insurance).
Draft saved Draft deleted