1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late-nite breakfast

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 30, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Inspired by a conversation I was just having with another board member, whatever happened to place you could go, post-bar, and gets some eggs and bacon?
    Here in Cincinnati, your choices are Waffle House and... nothing. In Cleveland, where he is, there are no Waffle Houses, and Denny's/Perkins are few and far between.
    So, I guess that leaves the mom-and-pop-owned dives that remain open late, but they too are scarce.

So, SportsJournalists.commers and purveyors of drunken late-nite breakfasts from coast to coast, where do you get your eggs on at 1 a.m.?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If strictly eggs ... I go to Chez F_B, where I always have a dozen loaded. If I ever played Egg Roulette, count on a smooth 0-of-12 from moi.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

When I was younger and eating late-night breakfasts, it was Waffle House. Now I'm old, go home right after work and I live five hours from the closest Waffle House.

Life isn't fair.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There was one place in Alabama we went a few times, a local diner. Can't remember the name, but it was affectionately known as Choke and Puke. It was exactly what you'd expect from a local late-night diner in Alabama.

Best thing about the place was the sightseeing. Food was horrible. Coffee was like motor oil.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Red Arrow.

Voted one of the top ten diners in the country.

They serve it ALL around the clock. It's fucking great.

It's always packed on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights after the bars let out, so I try to leave the bars a little early so I can get a seat and eat and get out.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I sometimes wondered, in my youth, who first thought it was a good idea to get a belly full of booze and then throw three eggs on top of it. A burger, I could understand. Pizza, sure ... although pizza is not so good coming back up. A beef and bean burrito, even. But eggs ... why eggs?

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I never got that either. I always used to go to Denny's and got sick off the Moons Over My Hammy a couple times.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Topping a buzz with IHOP's version of Moons Over My Hammy right now. Eggs are a comforting food, and drunks gravitate to it. It's way less upsetting than burgers or burritos.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Is the IHOP version of MOMH any good?

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Damn all of you IHOP bastards. I've never been to an IHOP or even SEEN one before, yet I still get all the commercials.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's OK. Kind of hard to fuck up a ham egg and cheese sandwich. A touch bigger than Denny's, ingredients are the same. Fries aren't bad. Normally I'd get pancackes, but they don't travel well and I didn't want to waste good buzz waiting for a blueberry tall stack.

Draft saved Draft deleted