1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late-night writing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tonysoprano, Jul 14, 2006.

1. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

No threadjacking done. The irony of it is pretty hilarious.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's no worse than the guy who discovered the Spice Girls, a woman whose voice was enhanced by all sorts of bells and whistles and a lifetime backup musician determining who can and cannot sing on "American Idol."

Really, it's like Cam Bonifay, Jose Canseco and John Cangelosi presiding over baseball tryouts.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I was thinking it's more like Isiah Thomas serving as the general manager of a ... oh yeah.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Regarding "America's Got Talent," I stumbled upon it Wednesday night and was really impressed by an 11-year-old girl who used an instruction manual to teach herself how to yodel. She was damned good at it. Not everyone appreciates a yodeller, but I'm a country boy and I do.

The Toronto Star had a story the other day about "Make a Wish" -- a little kid from Jersey who suffers from Crohn's disease got to visit Wayne Gretzky at his childhood home and play hockey with him. Then he and his family got to hang around with Gretz at his dad's charity golf tournament, something that apparently wasn't supposed to have been part of the deal.

Best part -- they're in the dressing room, getting ready to go out on the ice, and the kid's dad starts to tie his skates. Walter Gretzky shoos him out of the way so he can do it instead. The dad is blown away and says something like, "I can't believe this." Walter comes right back with, "if Wayne had just listened to me, he could have been a good player." :D

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I went to ESPN.com to see if I could see the video clips of the Make-A-Wish segments, but they only offer first-hand relative's accounts of the day. Oh well. Maybe once the promo is over you can see the clips on-line.
    The only thing I will say about the girl with the Mariners is, I found it awfully weird that all of the athletes were signing their autographs on her head.

6. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

I once saw John Cangelosi take a called third strike twice in the same inning. That guy looked at more balls than an Army doctor.

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I flipped by America's Got Talent the other day and saw kid who was damn good with the harmonica. The song, Sweet Home Alabama, was shit, but that kid could give Popper a run for his money in a few years.

8. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

I thought that was horrible. That means they originally lied to her in telling her he couldn't make it. She is deathly ill; they couldn't have told her from the beginning he would be there?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Perhaps at the beginning, he really couldn't make it.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

They didn't lie to her at all man. The kid really couldn't make it until the last second.

11. joe

joe Active Member

I'm a lot more inclined to believe the athletes who go out of their way not to draw publicity to themselves for doing good works like the Make a Wish stuff. As in, their agent isn't sending out a news release every time Superjock gives out a turkey dinner at Thanksgiving. Otherwise, it looks self-serving to me.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I haven't paid attention to sports in three weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted