1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late night TV watching

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rgd, Sep 23, 2006.

1. rgd

rgd Guest

For late night TV dwellers, what programs do you watch in the early morning hours?

I'm a Nick-at-Nite fan, although they've been showing too much Fresh Prince lately. I'm hoping they bring back Newsradio and/or The Wonder Years. Or maybe I should just read a book.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why, VH-1 Classic, of course.

Although now they usually air shitty VH-1 movies or really lousy obscure videos. Enjoying a rare burst of sunshine right now with Metal Mania. Hey, it's still my birthday in American Samoa! The Classic is giving me a present! :D

If the Classic is letting me down I can usually find something on one of the movie channels.

3. Read a book, Ebby...it seems to help me wind down a little bit better than watching TV. Right now I'm reading 1776. I highly recommend it. Or the Plot Against America is a good one too.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's usually some good sit-com on some station when I get home. Last year or two, it's been "Just Shoot Me" and "Drew Carey" back-to-back on Philadelphia's Channel 17.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

M*A*S*H block on Hallmark from 11 p.m.-1 a.m. (they had the Henry's Plane Goes Down episode on Thursday night/Friday morning), then I flip to Weatherscan (think a 24-hour local forecast from the Weather Channel) hoping the music will soothe me to sleep. If I'm still up at 2, over to Adult Swim for Futurama-Futurama-Family Guy.

Favorite late night block is TBS' Friday night/Saturday morning: Family Guy (not the newer, gayer episodes), Futurama, The Oblongs and the underrated Mission Hill.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That 2-4 block is often when I'll catch up on some college football team I haven't seen yet, with a replay either on ESPN or one of the Fox Sports networks.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's why Tivo was invented...

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, yeah, that too.

Thing is, the first-run viewing seasons are so short nowadays that you spend nine months of a year trying to find something else.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I'm another one for the MASH reruns on Hallmark. I'm getting a new kick out of the Col. Flagg episodes, though I've seen them all.

Also, Fox Movie Channel always has old movies. Matter of fact, just this morning I saw The Grapes of Wrath with Henry Fonda.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sadly, I think this board has somewhat ruined M*A*S*H-watching for me.

Now, whenever I watch it, I'm much more cognizant of the sermonizing of the later episodes. I just took it in before everyone began talking about it on here.

11. rgd

rgd Guest

Same here. ... It seems ESPN doesn't air as many NFL films late at night that it used to. I'm guessing the NFL keeps that stuff on its own network nowadays.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've allowed cognitive dissonance to take the lead and have compartimentalized M*A*S*H into two distinct series: M*A*S*H, which ended when Henry died and Trapper left offscreen, and Alan Alda Hates The War, which started when Hawkeye picked up B.J. from the airstrip. There's still plenty of good moments and episodes in the latter "series", but the Trapper/Blake for B.J./Potter trade changed the dynamics of the show so much that it's almost unfair to compare the two.

Draft saved Draft deleted