1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late night informercials

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Jan 15, 2011.

1. highlander

highlander Member

I miss watching Dr. Gene Scott late nights. That guy was truly entertaining. Sitting there smoking a cigar and telling people to send him money.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

THAT is the creepiest one. No fucking way am I buying a sex toy endorsed by a lady who looks like a librarian.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Has anyone seen the Pajama Jeans commercials? Instant classic.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I always wonder why, if ProActiv is so good, why aren't the commercials in HD?

I've never bought anything from an infomercial but love the ads. One of my favorites is for The Hammer golf club.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Magic Bullet infomercial is probably my all time favorite and probably the only one I have actually watched for more than 30 seconds. Maybe it's the 2 blondes in sundresses that got my attention, I don't know. But, I can generally watch a few minutes of that anytime I flip through and see it.

Well, then I come across the back story to the whole commercial: drunken, morning after, alcoholic party goers hoping to relieve nagging hangovers and perhaps blot out memories of shenanigans from the night before:

http://www.infomercial-hell.com/magic-bullet/

Now, I may not just have to watch the full thing, I may have to actually analyze it in a Siskel-esque art film kind of way. Especially the Amazed Blonde.

Oh, and in all fairness, I do have to admit we have a Magic Bullet in our kitchen. My wife bought it, though, not me. I swear.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you weigh 340 pounds what can you do that doesn't make you sore?

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've always wondered the same about commercials for TVs. They show a TV with an amazing picture. It shows up really great on my shitty TV that doesn't have HD service.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Two reasons. First, most of the PA spots (like Katy Perry's) were filmed more than 3 years ago, before commercials were shot in HD.

Second, the company that distributes informericals via satellite (DG Fastchannel) doesn't have the ability to distribute via HD. So to get an HD commercial on the air requires an enormous amount of money for distribution (and distribution is already very, very expensive -- P90X spends about $1.5 to $2 million a week in buying air time).

The only fully HD informercial is Julian Michaels', and she broke even on it.

BTW, ProActive works great. Ask my daughter!

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"I may be in my pajamas, but I'm not going to bed!"
    Margaret Schroeder (from Boardwalk Empire") to online university chick in tight shorts: "Perhaps your cunny isn't quite the draw you think it is."

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My buddy has a magic Bullet. He uses it for grinding coffee beans and mixing nutritional shakes. I have wanted in for the longest time, but haven't pulled t he trigger.

Draft saved Draft deleted