1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late Innings For The Sports Cartoon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do any of y'all still have a weekly sports cartoon? We dropped our cartoon years ago due to space constraints.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/sports/late-innings-for-the-sports-cartoon-vestige-of-a-bygone-era.html?_r=3&ref=richardsandomir&pagewanted=all

(H/T to MileHigh for pointing this out.)

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I know it's been a three-year-plus struggle for my friend and former co-worker Drew Litton, and he has tried to stay in the game, as the story points out. But he's still penning for his site and pounds out some good stuff still. Never got a sniff from the local broadsheet, sadly.

DrewLitton.com

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Had a couple of cartoonists sending me samples all of this year. Not that we can afford it anyway, but, just don't have the space for what's essentially a column-with-pictures.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I got those too. Or maybe from another duo. Anyway, they were offering it dirt cheap. I just couldn't find the room for it in the section.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Used a guy in Richmond who was really, really good. I assume it still uses him. Don't use one here.

One of his best cartoons was years ago when Jeff Jones was still coaching at UVA. The many emotions of Jeff Jones. He took the same stoic look and copied it 12 times. Jeff Jones happy. Jeff Jones mad. And so on. We thought Jones wouldn't like it but he called and requested a copy.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Just had a buddy send this to me and was about to throw it up here. Good pull, Inks & Mile High.

Interesting story.

7. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I remember that cartoon. It was great. His new ones are just as good.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I used to use Drew Litton all the time. Then the paper got narrower and narrower and I had to drop him in order to give other things the space they need.

9. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

In my former life, I tried to drop Gil Thorp when my space got slashed. It was gone for two days, and we had exactly one phone call asking about it. The publisher made me put it back in. I voluntarily left the business within a year. Not a coincidence.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Gil Thorp was bad enough when it was relatively good, and you know what I mean.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Ever been to the Comics Curmudgeon? (www.joshreads.com) Gil Thorpe is one of the comics he rips on. I guess it just got done with a long arc which made no sense at all. A tattoo artist was giving Milford players ink and also selling DVDs that had covers put on them to make them look like bootlegs but they weren't.

Because somehow, the kids thought it was cooler to buy bootlegs (that weren't) from a seedy guy (who actually wasn't) because it somehow seemed illegal (when it wasn't).

In other words, it spent several weeks demonstrating that Milford's entire student body is extremely stupid.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

We have run Steve Moore's In The Bleachers for at least the past 20 years on our agate page. Let me just say for those who aren't familiar with it, that Steve Moore has a very sick mind. :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted