1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT publisher who stood up to Tribune? Gone.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Romenesko's got the news.

Can't say I'm surprised. If the Tribune suits actually let their publishers care about journalism, profit margins might drop below 25 percent.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup, the way to stop circulation and ad revs from dropping is can the guy who stands up for the readers and the advertisers and says "We wont dilute the product any more..."
    Assclowns... If that was the case, the Cubbies should have been sold in 1988

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, thoroughly expected

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

My guess is the guy knew was likely already targeted when he stood up to them. I would think it wasn't the first time he'd voiced his dissent, but previous times it would have been in a boardroom

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Dean Baquet has told top editors he's staying, according to L.A. Observed.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think people of integrity have to ask themselves in these situations: "Is the paper, its employees, its readers and the business in general better off having me here or having me leave so maybe someone less principled can take my place?" It's great to take a stand, but what do you achieve if you can't be there anymore? The cuts are going to be done with you or without you. With you, they are done by someone who knows and understands the paper, staff and city; without you they are done by someone brought in from Chicago. Which is better?

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: Publisher of the LA Times is fired

Gee, what a surprise. He actually took a stand for journalism and the employees under his wing.

We kind of knew what would happen next. I hope this guy gets a chance somewhere else.

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Re: Publisher of the LA Times is fired

Good work, d_b.ca (for those of you who missed it, JR was just being JR. Carry on.)

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Is everything a fight with you? Cripes ...

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Nikki Finke, who has alway struck me as somewhat, well, nuts, refers to Dean Baquet as "gutless" here for not quitting:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/la-times-chaos-current-publisher-fired-tribune-toadie-hired-baquet-battling/

That gives no thought to the possibility that at least for now, he's staying to continue fighting the good fight for his staff, rather than him and three other top editors leaving (because of a "suicide pact") and then getting a complete unknown as his replacement.

Draft saved Draft deleted