1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT goal: "A 24/7 operation that breaks news all the time online"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jan 24, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

from experience: YEP.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We're hourly (but I don't know how much longer that will last). Management is salaried.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm not saying it won't be, but it doesn't have to be twice the work for a reporter, theoretically.

It can just be different. News breaks, you file a short version of a story and get it on the Web. Continue adding information as you get it, just like you would a print story. It might then be as simple as pushing a button a few extra times during the course of writing the story to send an updated version to the Web. And you can continue to have the edited version sent back to you to add to so they don't have to reedit the whole thing every time.

You'll end up with a final version of the story that's the last one to go up on the Web, and the one that makes the print edition. So you're just sending to the Web extra times instead of just writing until deadline on one version.

Again, I'm not naive. This is theoretically. The process should be able to work without too much extra angst for the reporter.

Emphasis on the word "should." I'm sure there are going to be some major pains in the ass for quite some time.

4. fishwrapper

Well, that's the hope. But, there is going to be more training and excercise for both reporters and desk people. Until we as an industry figure out what we're doing to remain viable, there are going to be some growing pains.
    All that is at stake, is journalism as we know it. I wish that were hyperbole. I wish.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is just such a classic "everything old is new again" deal. Back in the Roaring '20s, when there were more newspapers than the market could support, and the newfangled radio was making everyone in the business very nervous, papers had five, six, seven editions a day, and a sports scribe on assignment wrote and filed on a continuous basis as long as he was on the clock.
    If given the assignment, any and all newspapers could function in the 24/7 breaking news universe. They couldn't do so AND provide anaysis, background, scoops, or investigative work at the same time without tripling the staff.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

All true. And I neglected to mention podcasts, video, taking pictures with digital cameras in the field, etc. THIS could be a lot of extra work.

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

The L.A. Times' announcement sounds a lot like Gannett's "Information Center." Do more, and faster, with less -- but make sure everything is absolutely correct... somewhere along the line.

Whatever happened to, "Get it first, but first, get it right?"

8. fishwrapper

Two words: Yahoo and Google.

9. fishwrapper

Two more: Craigslist and EBay.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they're ahead of the curve. Even among newspapers, they're only on the front half of the curve. I hate to point out the obvious, but CNN has been doing the 24-hour news thing for 30 years now, and they've been doing it on the internet, I dunno, at least five. And like others, I think it remains to be seen whether they can get it done while reducing staff. Writers here that 24/7 thing and start wondering when they'll ever get an hour off for lunch, let along a day off.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

May I add Wikipedia?

12. zaphod

zaphod New Member

Ahead of the curve? There are papers all over the place, every one of them a fraction of the size of the Times, who adopted this web-first mentality a long time ago. It's the right approach, but the LAT is rather late to this party.

Draft saved Draft deleted