1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT 'fully retracts' Tupac story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by buckweaver, Apr 7, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ouch. Lots of links here: http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/04/la_times_fully_retracts_t.php

2. Magnum

Magnum Member

They've had some high-profile fuck-ups lately. Between this and Bonds, I don't believe their story about Favre looking for a new team.

3. Bob Sakamano

Bob Sakamano New Member

I've never understood this mentality. What in the world does Sam Farmer and the relationships he has with his sources have to do with a news side fuck-up involving Tupac? Sam is a good reporter. I understand the perception in the general public is a negative reflection on the Times, but I think journalists who understand how the process works should know better than to judge an individual reporter based on a completely unrelated fuck-up that he had nothing to do with.

4. Magnum

Magnum Member

Favre's reaction played a big factor in how I judged the credibility of the story. I also can't help but notice that the Times is taking a lot of risks in their reporting of anonymous sources lately.

It's all relative. If the editors aren't going to keep the reporting of anonymous sources to a certain standard, this shit becomes an epidemic throughout the newsroom.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Well, the deal is that if an organization messes up and doesn't come forward with a complete retraction in a strong and unequivocal manner, then the organization lacks credibility and is not to be believed. On the other hand, if an organization messes up and and comes forward with complete retraction in a strong and unequivocal manner, then by acknowledging the mistake, the organization provides evidence that it has been wrong in the past, and therefore lacks credibility and is not to be believed. Thus, trust no one.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's the thing, Bob. The way I interpret Magnum's quote, the fuck up over the Tupac story calls EVERYTHING The Los Angeles Times does into question, even if Sam Farmer's prior work is beyond reproach.

How many more times are we going to see major fuck ups on the parts of newspapers before the bean counters get the idea that doing more with less is a fantasy? Or will they never get it?

7. Bob Sakamano

Bob Sakamano New Member

I'm not sure how Favre's reaction would show much of anything. If you read the story, the allegation is that Favre's agent had quietly inquired about the possibility, not Favre himself. The story directly says that sources didn't indicate whether Favre knew.

I agree that there's too much reliance on anonymous sources in a lot of newsrooms, and I don't think the LAT is alone in that. I also don't think there's the degree of communication between sports and news to the extent that a reporter like Sam Farmer would be influenced by the editors and reporters who led the Tupac gaffe. In giant newsrooms like that, I think it's a mistake to make sweeping generalizations of all departments. Just my take, of course.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The bean counters don't have anything to do with this one. All of the blame is on Mr. Pulitzer Prize winner and the Times' crack editing staff.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The way the bean counters continually slash staffs, it makes it much harder than necessary to do the due diligence a story needs.

Draft saved Draft deleted