1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT Editor: **** off suits. I'm not gutting my newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beefncheddar, Sep 15, 2006.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Baquet deserves all the credit in the world for this, but the big news here is that the publisher, Jeff Johnson, stood with Baquet. Unlike Baquet, Johnson is a Trib corporate guy that some have said has "gone native." So, I'll buy both of them a drink!

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Something smells odd.

I wonder if this wasn't orchestrated by Tribune.

3. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Young fool. Only at the end will you realize the true power of the dark side.

[​IMG]

4. boots

boots New Member

Not only will they find the dark side, they'll also find the unemployment line.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If the LAT fired Dean Banquet, there would be about 20 newspapers wrestling and fighting to see who could hire him first.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Which, of course, the big beancounters couldn't give a shit less about. When they want throats slashed to pump up their bottom line, that's what they want. They'll hire some stooge who will do what he's told, and Baquet will undoubtedly be much happier at his next job.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. Taking a stand does not endear you to publishers. No doubt he could go back to the NYT, but how many publishers are going to want to give the top newsroom job to someone who says no? Look at Jay Harris, the publisher who quit San Jose over budget cuts. If newspapers were clamoring to hire him, we haven't heard about it.

8. Pi

Pi Member

Using the paper to make himself a martyr. Sounds like he's just trying to leave a legacy.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

legacy left.

fuck scott smith.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Mr. Perspective with another 1-iron to 3 feet.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Agreed.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

This was not a setup by Tribune; Chicago suits were surprised to see the comments, especially from the publisher. Another call in today's paper for the Times to be sold.

Draft saved Draft deleted