1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT Editor: **** off suits. I'm not gutting my newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beefncheddar, Sep 15, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: LAT Editor: Fuck off suits. I'm not gutting my newsroom

Good for the editor and publisher at the Times. It was gutsy and the right thing to do.

They won't last the year, though.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They may not last the year.

But the publisher and editor will have the respect of many in the newsroom who appreciate them telling management "no," instead of easily giving in to throw more staffers under the bus.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

After the Fainaru-Wada/Williams rally maybe we should all swing down to LA and buy the guy a drink.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Crap. One of these days I'll remember no profanity in subject lines.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think the entire Tribune Co. is on the verge of an implosion. The suits can fire Banquet and put one of their lackeys in charge (and I have no doubt that's what will happen) but the company is vulnerable to a take-over, and if it's still intact in its current form in two years, I'll be stunned.

I imagine the memo from Chicago looked something like this:

Chi Trib to LAT: Stop making us look bad! We order you to cut staff immediately. Our flagship paper's mediocrity must not be out-done. Do we make ourselves clear? Stop winning Pulitzers! Stop it right now, or face diciplineary action!

Thank you! And remember, Go Cubs!

Tribune CEO.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes. Good for them. But this won't end well.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Trib hierarchy have always been dirtbags. But this will spotlight it, like never before.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Baquet is outta sight. Couple years ago I was working on something for in-house use and wanted to find out how some other papers did it. At the time Baquet was ME, not editor. I e-mailed him and a bunch of others late on a Saturday night, and he responded within a few minutes. I was impressed first off that he was checking his work e-mail at that hour on a weekend, and also because although he couldn't help me, he directed me to someone at The New York Times who he thought could help me (but wouldn't).

He'll probably get fired. Too bad, but he knows what he's doing.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He must have some heavy duty backup on this one to throw it back in Tribune's face like this.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

These dudes have some serious balls. I admire the shit out of it.

Unfortunately, those balls are probably going to be served up on a martyrous platter.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's all well and good, but it doesn't take into account interest on debt and taxes, both of which have hounded Tribune since the merger and the IRS ruling that they lost.

I suspect the "net profit margin" figure --- the only figure that really matters --- isn't quite as rosy. And Wall Street seems to feel the same way.

Draft saved Draft deleted