1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT cutting 75 more

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wondering about the L.A. Times' recent grand tradition of top editors and even publishers resigning in protest or disgust or outrage or sorrow over such slashing of staff.

Is that tradition over already? Have the key jobs now been filled by enough toadies or those who have drunk the Kool-Aid that there's no such heels-planting at the newsroom top?

For a while there at least, we could see the proud values of journalism in play, if only by the way a series of bosses refused to go along with the corporate cutting. Them days over?

Now it's as if the white flag has gone up. As demoralizing as Cool Hand Luke going over to The Man's side as a trustee, fetching his rifle, retrieving his dead snake, "shakin' it here, boss," his spine and fight turning to jelly. (With, alas, no eventual double-cross of the bastards up his sleeve.)

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

It'll never seem right that George Kennedy won an Oscar for that movie and my boy Paul (see avatar) did not.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Well, of course there will be more cuts.

January starts a new quarter for the Tribune beancounters to slash and hack.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Spent eight years there. This is profoundly sad.

When I was waffling about leaving the midsize I was at to go to the Times, a city editor type dropped by my desk and said, "You're thinking about not going? Are you an idiot? It's the Los Angeles Times!!"

Not the same these days, obviously -- but the people who are still there are still extremely talented and will still do the best they can with what they've got. They just don't have much anymore.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This from the Pipeline, though many of the names have been discussed already:

The sports list of cuts for this round as I know it, from one sports staff writer who's still there, and from one of whom is on this list:

Lonnie White, Thomas Bonk, Steve Springer, Dan Arritt and Van Nightingale, a long-time slot/layout man.

A lot of good work, and a lot of good people, among that little group.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Arritt started as a part-timer when I was there and was a great "kid" back then. Van is one of the best layout guys I ever worked with.

It's hard to believe he's one of them, unless it was voluntary.

Not saying you're not right, by the way, Moddy. Just saying it's hard to believe, as much of this is.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken, Van worked in Norfolk at one time. His dad was in the biz, too?
    My source on that is PFG (pretty friggin good)

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Moddy's list is the same one I've got from a PFG source.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Van's dad was Dave Nightingale of Sporting News fame.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Again, to clarify: I had no doubt Moddy's source was right.

I simply couldn't believe a paper wouldn't have a spot for somebody like Van. I mean, as tight as things are, you still have to put the damn thing out every night.

That's all I meant. Fact it's true is really bad.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

With White and Arritt on that list, and Eric Stephens let go in the previous round of cuts, it shows what the Times thinks about hockey. Lonnie and Dan split the Kings beat with Lisa Dillman last year and Eric did the Ducks. Dan did most of the hockey this year. I guess Helene Elliott will handle it all now and no one will travel with either team.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is Lisa not covering the Kings, or hockey at all, this year?

Draft saved Draft deleted