1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Waltz Alert...well, at least for Canuckistanis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Nov 20, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's on Treasure HD. Don't know if the Yanks get it down there or not

The Martin Scorsese film about The Band's last concert in 1976 at The Winterland Ballroom in SF.

Maybe the best rock doc ever.

Here's a list of some of the performers:

Paul Butterfield, Eric Clapton, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Ronnie Hawkins, Dr. John, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Ringo Starr, Muddy Waters, Ronnie Wood and Neil Young.

The name that jumps from that list is Neil Diamond.

2. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Van Morrison ripped it up. On a bill that had a bunch of mega acts, in my estimation, he stole the show.

3. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

I recently read a great interview with Levon Helm about the show but I can't recall where it was from. He was pretty blunt about his feelings about the movie and his thoughts on Neil Diamond were great. Seems not everybody in the band wanted to quit and he wasn't thrilled that Neil was part of the show.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Discussed here many times but still don't understand all the tears and hand-wringing over breakup of The Band

5. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Well, they were a kick-ass band that retired in their prime.

Anyway, for anybody that has time, here's the Levon Helm interview. It's pretty long, but here's a quick hit: After he said he didn't want to do the movie (or break up the band), his lawyer said there was really no way out of it so, "Do it, puke, and get out of the way.''

http://jmdl.com/library/view.cfm?id=1217

Of course, I really can't get enough of the Last Waltz. I'll watch it anytime it's on.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Uh, who said there were tears or hand wringing, Boom?

They happened to be a great band with a unique voice, kickass musicians and backed up The Hawk & Dylan.

What's not to like?

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Is it the "special edition"? If not you'll be able to see a tiny ball of cocaine in Neil Young's nostril! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted