1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Time You Threw a Punch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this counts. I was 25, I had long hair, I was drinking in a bar, and some asshole started hassling me from across the bar. I would have thought that by the 1980s we were done with people doing that whole "Is it a girl or a boy?" with longhairs, but apparently not. I am not at all physically imposing, but I walked to the other side of the bar, and threw the guy off his barstool and his head hit the floor. I leaned over to punch him and the guy actually said, "Don't hit me." So I didn't. And the bartender, who knew me a little, said to me, "Why did you do a stupid fucking thing like that? If someone's giving you a problem, just tell me. Don't ever pull shit like that in my bar again or I'll beat the fuck out of you." I believed him, too. It took a few more drinks for me to stop shaking.

2. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

My last year of junior hockey some guy speared me. I lose it and go to town. I usually got my clock cleaned pretty bad, but I'm beating this guy pretty easy...almost too easy, until I realize that the guy I'm beating up is a hockey whiz-kid who is five years younger than me.
    Realizing I made a mistake I immediately stop and bear hug the poor kid to save face until the linesman can break us up. I apologized to the other coach after the game.
    My only hockey fight that I won and didn't bleed.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Can't say. First rule of Fight Club, ya know.

Seriously, 11th grade. However, I don't know if this counts, because it was a headbutt and not a punch. He swung, missed and stupid me thinking "Oh this shit works in the movies ..." I grabbed the guy by the shoulders and slammed my forehead into his face. Busted his nose, knocked him to the ground and had me feeling woozy for three days. Never saw him again.

4. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

two weeks ago, I bumped into some a-hole in a bar said I was sorry and he said he wanted to fight, I just shrugged it off, a little later I was outside smoking a butt and the dude came up to me and took a swing, he was pretty drunk so he almost completely missed, but he caught me enough to piss me off, I caught him square in the chin and knocked him on his ass before about three bouncers creamed me and told me to get the eff out of there

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

You were getting bullied by someone 9 inches shorter than you? How does that work?

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

I killed a man in Reno just to watch him die.

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Awesome.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, hell, Boobie, a lot easier than you would think. If you don't think you have the ability to beat the crap out of someone, you generally don't try. And I had no confidence in my ability to beat the crap out of someone.

Plus, I was one of the suburban kids, and he lived in a rough section of town, and you'd see him sneaking cigs ... he acted tougher than me.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You can just tell when someone's meaner. You know they won't mind getting hit, they're used to it. And you aren't.

10. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

I wouldn't call that meaner ... I'd call it tougher

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Spoken like a former bully. :)

12. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

not at all ... far from it ... I'm one of the most easy going people around

Draft saved Draft deleted