1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last real Beatles concert, 47 years ago today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 29, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Beatles only had their lineup from '62 on, when Ringo replaced Pete Best.

The Four Tops went from 1953 to 1997 with the same lineup intact.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Anyone here ever see them live? My older brother did at Maple Leaf Gardens, in 1965 or 1966. He also went to Woodstock, and somehow didn't get drafted despite having a draft lottery No. of 001 for those born in 1951. My lottery No. was 181 for 1954 but nobody got drafted that year.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My old man worked one of their shows at the Gardens with the ambulance service.

Used to work with a guy who grew up in Liverpool when they were on their way up. He was a musician who messed around in bands and said he knew them all to some extent and he remembers often having a smoke with Lennon between sets at the Cavern. He said he saw them dozens of times but never thought they'd be huge because British entertainers - save for the odd actor - rarely became famous worldwide.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

fair point.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Alice, my wife, saw the Beatles both at Shea and at Forest Hills tennis center. So that's two dead stadiums.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I have read in the past that the biggest reason they stopped touring was because of all the screaming that happened at their concerts. Oftentimes, they couldn't hear themselves, and they just kind of thought it was futile to keep doing that.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Would've been 20 years in '13 for Oasis. Fucking douchebag Gallagher brothers.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

There were a few lineup changes in that band though.

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

"Thirty-seven people have been in this band." - David St. Hubbins, "This is Spinal Tap"

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Six months from now, I can't see myself missing Nigel more than I might miss Ross McLochness, or Ronnie Pudding, or Danny Upham, or Little Danny Schindler.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If you look up the Beatles setlists, they are the same -- song for song -- in every concert on a given tour.

In their final Candlestick show, the 'newest' song they play is 'Paperback Writer,' which they had recorded nearly two years before.

It's pretty hard to imagine what a PITFA touring had to have been for them.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That and almost being stampeded to death by Marcos loyalists in the Philippines. That was a key event, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted