1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last real Beatles concert, 47 years ago today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 29, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Beatles played their last "real" live show 47 years ago today, at Candlestick Park. "Long Tally Sally" was their encore.

I feel really, really old. I was 9 when they played on the Ed Sullvan Show, and 12 when they quit being a real live rock and roll band. They did not have a very long career; the Stonbes have been together for 50 years or so, by comparison.

And most of the stadiums they played in are now gone: Shea Stadium, Comiskey Park, Metropolitan Stadium, Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Cleveland Municipal Stadium, and old Busch Stadium. They also played at D.C. Stadium and Dodger Stadium.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

McCartney recently said he wants to play a concert as the final event at Candlestick before it is blown up. I thought it was a very good idea.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Beats the heck out of those wanting one more Giants game.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

It really wasn't that short a time if you look at this in perspective. Paul McCartney and John Lennon played together in the mid-1950s, and the Beatles were performing professionally by 1960. They were together for nine years, and if you think about it, most musicians play together for less than nine years. The Rolling Stones have had personnel changes, and it is usually the case that there are changes over the course of time. The only group I can think of who had the same personnel together for more than 25 years are the Four Tops.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Isn't Pearl Jam closing in on 25?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

AC/DC's current lineup has about 25 years in together but not consecutively.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's been about 35 years for U2.

43 years for ZZ Top.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

U2 has been together since the late-70s.

EDIT: PC beat me to it.

The current Rush (shaddup!) lineup has been together for 40 years.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Only 15 for the current lineup. They've gone through drummers. Matt Cameron joined in 1998.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

When the Beatles broke up, though, they likely the longest running band of the "rock" era at that point. Elvis has been around longer, but his backing bands changed. The Beach Boys were around about seven years, but had several lineup changes. The Stones has even changed out guitar players and regulated their keyboard player to glorified roadie.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Aerosmith's Crespo-Dufay hiccup lasted what, two albums? The original lineup got back together almost 30 years ago, I'm guessing, for a total of almost 40.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I saw one of those shows on a miserable August night in front of maybe 5,000 people at a shed I worked at outside Toronto. Never in a million years would have thought they would be back.

Draft saved Draft deleted