1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Of The Ninth For Baseball's Hall Of Fame Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jan 29, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am good at Googling! The Hall of Fame has a whole section of its site dedicated to game results, with a writeup of each one at least in the 2000s.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The game really was getting to be pretty pointless. All the players people paid to see stepped off the field shortly after their names were announced. I'll miss the tradition, but I can understand it being removed.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

A high school baseball team I covered plays a bi-annual regular season game there. I traveled with them and took in the sights of Cooperstown for the second time. The game was a slugfest though, I think the team I covered won 8-7 in the bottom of the seventh.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Yep...name one team in the last 10 years who actually dressed any of their regular pitching staff for the game.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When was this game moved off induction weekend? More importantly, WHY?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Simple...name one team that wants to give up a weekend home gate.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The game always was on Monday.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

An old-timers' softball game at Doubleday Field would be perfect for Induction Weekend.

The Hall of Fame Game is an outdated tradition from an era when baseball teams scheduled exhibitions on off-days throughout the season. And even then, stars played 3-4 innings -- if they showed up at all* -- got an at-bat or two, passed the hat around, and then took the early train to whatever city was next on the trip.

* Excluding Babe Ruth. He had to make the trip for almost all of those in-season games, because that's who the crowds were there to see. No rest for the weary, or for gods among men.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted