1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Of The Ninth For Baseball's Hall Of Fame Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jan 29, 2008.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Citing complexity of schedules, MLB has decided that after this season, and 60 years of playing it, the Baseball Hall of Fame Game will be nothing more than a memory.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBO_HALL_OF_FAME_GAME_ILOL-?SITE=ILBLO&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just move a regular-season game there. They play regular-season games in Japan, Mexico and Puerto Rico, why not one in Cooperstown?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Makes no sense to play a game there. Travel is ridiculous. Players generally hate going there for the annual game. It's a pain in the neck to travel to China or Japan, too, but at least there's a good reason to play games in those countries.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Have recently retired stars play an exhibition and call it the Hall of Fame Game.

Problem solved.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

that and the Little League dimensions would wreck havoc on a "real" game.

On one hand, this is too bad. I always got a kick out of the HOF game. On the other, the HOF really set itself up for this by moving the game away from HOF weekend. Sure, it sells out, but no one cares. OK, no one cared anyway, but at least when it took place on HOF weekend it provided a nice bookend to the festivities. Now it's just kind of out in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is a really good idea.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

60 years, and only NOW the schedule is too complex? Just (gasp) have the two teams play a doubleheader one day and they will then have the extra day for the HOF game. But I'm sure the owners wouldn't want to give up a little extra money for a scheduled doubleheader.

It's sad, especially when they moved the game away from HOF Weekend. I attended the game one year and must say, even though I didn't have a rooting interest in the two teams, had an enjoyable time. Even with the stars only playing a few innings, it was a fun game to watch. Even the players were enjoying themselves, playing to the crowd and such.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A scheduled doubleheader....BWAHAHAHAHAHA

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Real reason for ending it -- no one watches, no one cares, no one makes any money off it.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hall of Fame Game history ...

2007: Brian Bock
    2006: Rained out in the third inning
    2005: Derek Nicholson walk-off HR wins it
    2004: Jonathan Schuerholz's son keys ninth-inning rally
    2003: Winning pitcher = Frank Brooks
    2002: Mark Little becomes first player to get five hits in HOF Game
    2001: Everett Stull, winning pitcher and MVP
    2000: MVP Luis Terrero saves game with great defensive plays

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jesus what is wrong with you? :D How'd you find that crap out? I went to a couple of those games and couldn't tell you one thing about 'em.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hard to argue with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted