1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last night's out-of-this-world phone call.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Damn young'uns have to go and change EVERYTHING!!

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We got a call one night from a woman who said the moon had exploded. She saw it one minute, then looked up the next and there was a big cloud of dust.

Starman's call is better than that one.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hate to go off topic, especially considering I didn't read the thread at all as Starman wrote it and it's probably about Larry Brown again, but I hope everyone survived that horrid interstellar accident last night.

I've been wearing a miner's helmet all day so I don't take any shrapnel from that space station.

What an ignoble death, first the astronauts couldn't use the bathrooms in space (true story), then they collide with the moon (yeah ... that too).

I'm sure the AP will report this, but a reminder to you deskers/wire/copy editors out there that these are the first deaths on the moon since 1980. That's when Zod, et al, murdered an entire lunar mission after being freed from the cover of the Rolling Stones' Through The Past Darkly album by a nuclear explosion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

While Clark Kent sits on his ass in the Daily Planet newsroom trying out his X-ray vision on Lois Lane's underwear, the astronauts' screams into the radio microphones go for naught. The next day at the Planet news meeting, with the corpses of three astronauts lying fresh on the moon, bulldog editor Perry White assigns his two top writers to do an expose on tourist-trap ripoffs at Niagara Falls. Thanks a lot, Superman.

5. Bubbler

A lot of people don't know this, but the Rolling Stones' 2,000 Light Years From Home was written by Zod in a reflective moment inside the prison cube/album cover.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'll know it when Zod storms into the White House this November.

http://www.zod2008.com/

7. Bubbler

I'd kneel before Zod before I ever kneeled before Bush.

Wait ... that didn't come out right at all.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

This just in: Bubbler doesn't like Bush.

9. 366.

There was a weird call to our sports desk about 15 years ago about how someone took a parachute to a lake on a windy day (no parasailing boat, just the chute and a harness), and he called in to say how his buddies managed to prevent the chute from taking off in the air from a gust of wind, calling it a "great save."

I said, "Have another beer," and hung up.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That's pretty professional. :) I like it.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that'd be more acid than weed.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

A blog post would have a similarly sized audience.

Draft saved Draft deleted