1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last night was the first Friday in seven years I had no calls to take . . . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 1, 2007.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

BYH, that's actually fair. You're enough of an idiot to count as a piling-on.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And a new sporting verb into the lexicon: Tebows.

Love it.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've always said, for 20 years, I've missed writing only on 15 Friday nights each year.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

My new job doesn't involve preps. College and pros only.

Thank you, Dear Lord Baby Jeebus.

5. Scootah

Scootah New Member

What until the first night that you have to cover a game 20 minutes from the office and can't file from the school the game was played at. 15 minutes of interviews postgame (if you are lucky) , 20 minutes to get to your car and get out of the parking lot. 20 minutes to get back to the office, only to find that you have to answer phones, write up games and chase results once you get back there. That 10:30 deadline gets a heck of a lot harder on a night like that.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

:eek:

???

::)

yer a regular Woodward and Bernstein

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Back in '95 in Vermont all of this included processing our own film (spooling, dropping in chemicals AND making prints) while the brain is going at maniac-warp speed. God, those were the days.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Maybe he never has that. Situations are very different at different newspapers.

Our folks, if they were asked to take game calls when they came through the door after covering one, would do it in a second. But even as the slot man, I'd take that game myself before I'd make them do that.

And as far as not being able to file from the school ... that was more of a grave problem back when we were carrying, like, a 15-pound portable to file. As in, standing in a phone booth across from the school campus during a snowstorm, balancing the portable in one arm while handling the phone with the other.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love writing on Football Fridays. Writing is my passion, and baseball/softball writing is my favorite. But there's nothing like pounding out a football story, writing half of it in my head on the drive to the office, on a hectic Friday.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Exactly. And there's nothing quite like arriving in a football-crazy town about 6 p.m. on game night, seeing the town make their way up the street to the stadium.

Even if it doesn't amount to a whole lot in the big picture of the world, you feel like what you're doing is important.

11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

And a new sporting verb into the lexicon: Tebows.

Love it.
    [/quote]

Thank You! The Orlando Sentinel desk actually e-mailed and told to never use Tebow as verb, adjective or adverb ever, ever again. It's nice to be appreciated.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You must be new to this thread. Keep reading.

(Don't miss 'em at all.)

Draft saved Draft deleted