1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The Brad Renfro running joke was a classic...

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You'd be right...if Newman and Redford had tits instead of moobs, and had their kids tagging along.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ghost World is pretty good.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I always thought it was interesting that the two most important female characters in that movie --- Billie (Newman's girlfriend) and Loretta (the coffeeshop waitress/hitwoman) --- were so damned homely. I've always figured it was because the producers didn't want anyone to cast better looking the Newman and Redford (though a young, pre-implant Sally Kirkland has a bit part early in the film).

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well, they at least slept in the same bed. That's what prompts him to break up with the blonde woman.

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Just saw A Serious Man, the latest from the Coen brothers. Not my favorite movie of all time, or even the last month.

Average age of people in the theater: about 78. A lady two seats down from me was breathing with the help of an oxygen machine. Seemed like it was appropriate given the film noir motif.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rumor Has It ...

Love the premise of it, which is "based on a rumor."

They take The Graduate 39 years later and try to play out the "Robinsons" and real "Benjamin Braddock" in real life. Jennifer Aniston is led to believe that the guy off of whom Braddock is based is her father. Kevin Costner plays Beau Burroughs (Braddock), who went to high school with Charles Webb (author of The Graduate). They were friends in high school with Aniston's mom (who would've been Elaine Robinson, but who is dead in this movie). Rumor has it that *Elaine Robinson* went to Cabo the weekend before she got married and had a fling with Beau Burroughs.

Aniston, a newspaper obits/wedding writer who is engaged to Mark Ruffalo in this movie, starts to believe Beau knocked up her mom in Cabo, so she tracks him down in San Fran and asks him about that weekend. He admits to the tryst but says he can't father kids because of a junior high soccer *injury*. Aniston buys into his explanation, and even though she's engaged, she sleeps with Costner; the funny implication being that *Braddock* slept with Mrs. Robinson, Mrs. Robinson's daughter AND Mrs. Robinson's granddaughter. And that possibility presents itself briefly when Costner's son makes an appearance. Turns out, it's not his biological son, so Aniston stops freaking out about sleeping with her dad.

Anyway, there are some very funny lines in the movie. Other parts are cheese and cliche. Mark Ruffalo stinks, Jen Aniston is, by and large, pretty good, and Shirley MacLaine as *Mrs. Robinson* 39 years later is great.

3 stars out of 5.

BTW, Aniston got a serious nose job. In this she's still got her original. Her nose in "Love Happens" is much smaller.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Saw that a few years ago and enjoyed it. It's a Rob Reiner film, and his movies are usually pretty clever (except for North).

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

"New York, I Love You." It's a series of short films, some intertwined, about, duh, New York. I liked it, but not as much as "Paris, Je t'aime" about, duh, Paris. I also want to put in a plug for the excellent documentary "Black Magic," which I watched over the weekend. Really well done, interesting and moving.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I absolutely loved Paris, Je t'aime. I didn't know they made a similar one about New York. I'll have to check that out.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's got the Shia in it though. That's the only thing holding me back.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

He does a nice job, actually. And he's only in it for about 5 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted