1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

My chaser for bad southern accents will always be Brad Pitt's approximation of an East Tennessee accent in Inglourious Basterds

I liked Wilson as Dr. Demento. UHF was a textbook example of an 80s' dorm movie. It was still more fun than Weird. The latter has its moments, but I expected it to be better.

The ads ran on social media platforms where it scared the bejabbers out of some of my friends' kids and grandkids.

Recently watched:
    The Sting. (on Netflix) It spoiled me for nearly everything else I've seen this week. From the nearly flawless script to the acting to Marvin Hamlisch's masterful retooling of Scott Joplin's music, it was a reminder of how good movies can be.

Well, this wasn't spoiled by The Sting... The Ghost And Mrs. Muir. Gosh, Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison are pretty! This is mostly a cinematic pas de deux and it sparks and bristles in all the right places.

Something I've noticed more is the movie as a vehicle for the soundtrack. This was a common critical complaint in the late 70s' to mid-80s' (post Saturday Night Fever) and after enjoying movies with bespoke soundtracks, I find myself annoyed to see every transition and entrance of a new character announced with a blast of pop music. This is why I turned off the newer version of The Italian Job and resolved to find the 1969 original. Yeah, yeah, get offa mah lawn.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The oddly endearing Netflix doc "The Pez Outlaw."

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

As a movie The Cotton Club was a fascinating failure but this scene was worth the price of admission

fossywriter8 likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Loved “You People” on Netflix. It’s a modern day “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner.”
    Great cast led by Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Jonah Hill.
    As a Jewish guy who was married to a black woman, it was very relatable. Also made me realize things could have been a lot worse when we were getting married.

OscarMadison and qtlaw like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Definitely has a lot of laughs. Always liked Jonah Hill.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You People was way too cringy for me. Pretty much everyone was weird except the bride to be. Jonah Hill's character wasn't all that sympathetic because he lies to everyone about everything.
    The one good laugh (in Vegas) is beaten into the ground.

It wraps up nicely at the end when Eddie Murphy and Julia Louis Dreyfus' characters appear to be almost human.

Would not recommend.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Recently saw “Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.” Very oddball movie, but really enjoyable.

garrow likes this.
  8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Saw Babylon in a theater last night. Hollywood in the 1920s was the Weimar Republic on steroids. Then sound came in and killed all the fun.

It wasn't bad, I suppose. I appreciate the chances taken and the attempt to redo (yet again) one of the creation myths of Los Angeles. But it was way too long for a movie that can be summned up in a sentence or two.

garrow likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Greenland." Not really a fan of the disaster pic genre, but it was solid. Highly reminiscent of "World War Z" in some spots.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There were some bad spots but overall I very much enjoyed. Murphy was fun like the other cast members. I think they did a casting call for all old Jewish actors though, only Judd Hirsch was apparently unavailable.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Saw Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
    At well over 2 1/2 hours, it felt even longer at times.
    Good parts and good acting at times, but at lot of it just seemed ... forced. Glad I watched it at home instead of in a theater.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

OK, so I’m of course watching Groundhog Day. Again.

One thing I never noticed until now. On which version of Earth is it bright enough to look out the window at 6 am on Feb. 2 in Western PA?

maumann, I Should Coco and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted