1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cool. They're certainly worth the effort.

Here's his website.

https://billmorrisonfilm.com/

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Thanks. I’ve always believed style can go a long way toward making up for lack of substance.

Some of Aronofsky’s work, like Pi and The Fountain, are good examples of this.

Guy Maddin’s stuff is another good example. Some of it is so striking visually that it distracts from the story. Which, in his case, is not always a bad thing.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The King of Long Kon ... in a world of legal hurt.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"The Courier" with Benedict Cumberbatch, Mrs. Maisel and a bunch of familiar British character actors. Decent true story/Cold War espionage tale from the early 1960s.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Blonde." Dreary and annoyingly pretentious. Ana de Armas is great and it has a fantastic supporting cast in key roles (Bobby Cannavale, Adrien Brody, Julianne Nicholson) and smaller ones (Dan Butler, Toby Huss) but it doesn't help.

7. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes! The long, drawn out scenes of NOTHING that moved the story along. Quite frankly, it often seemed like an anti-abortion propaganda film.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That was part of it. What might have helped Elvis was to be better with finances so that he could have settled up with Parker and sent him on his way.

SFIND likes this.
  9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Hocus Pocus 2: Never great, but never terrible. Gets a little maudlin at the end, but that works.

Has the same continuity problems as the first (ie, how the witches know modern slang, but are confused by modern technology). There were no cameos from the first movie, which I enjoyed actually. Too many remakes/reboots, jam in the fan service. It was nice not to have it.

Leaves room for a sequel or prequel in the next few years….but it may be better if they wait another 29 years.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Vernon handled Elvis’ finances
    The best thing that could be said about Vernon is he was pathetic

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Amsterdam. There may have been too many name actors, and it got a little whimsical at the end, but all-in-all an entertaining film.

garrow and Spartan Squad like this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the Elvis movie — Hanks and the actors who portrayed Elvis and Priscilla were great.

Like a lot of these music bio-pics, not sure how many facts were simplified for the sake of the storyline and how much the timeline was skewed (Bobby Kennedy’s assassination was a full six months before Christmas, for example). But from what I’ve read Elvis’s wife, daughter and granddaughter all strongly endorsed the movie.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted