1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw Top Gun: Maverick opening night and twice since, but haven't posted here in a while. It's one of the few films where the sequel surpasses the original. It was fucking spectacular. My goodness. Saw it the first time in a Dolby Atmos theater and the sound was so goddamned incredible you could feel it in your chest when the jets lifted off the carrier.

Second time, I took my son to see it at a rinky dink local theater. It was his first time seeing a reality-based -- for lack of a better term -- action film. In other words, it wasn't a Marvel/CGI flick. It all looked real (and it largely was, comparatively speaking) and didn't have the MCU feel of watching a comic book. Anyway, it wasn't as good at local cinema, but he loved it.

A couple weeks later, we were camping in Maine with family who hadn't seen it. There were torrential downpours for an afternoon and there was an IMAX theater in the nearest town, so we took the opportunity to check it out there. As we walked in, they were showing some behind-the-scenes stuff, so I looked back at my son and watched as his eyes bugged out of his head when he got his first look at an IMAX screen. Needless to say, it was unbelievable in the large format. I would go see it in IMAX again. It's just a great movie. What an absolutely perfect big-screen experience.

qtlaw, garrow and OscarMadison like this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The Lavender Hill Mob. Alec Guiness, Sterling Holloway, and company percolate along in this tightly scripted caper film. Also, look for a very young Audrey Hepburn.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The original Ladykillers is worth a look as well.

Found this on YouTube today. Was lucky enough to see it at the Met when it was installed there several years ago.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/online-features/metcollects/the-refusal-of-time

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

While we're talking about art film, a friend of mine makes these. Just extraordinary.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Here's the live version, with Maya Beiser.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Confess, Fletch is not good and nowhere near as close to as good as it thinks it is.

garrow likes this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The fact that there has been zero promotion for it and most people don't even know it exists was a good indication of that

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Barbarian in the theater. Fresh horror movie. More suspense/tension that gore (tho there is some of that).

Very good, if you like the genre.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just wrote on another thread that I hadn't even heard about it until someone mentioned it the General Movie News thread today.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I never got to see Avatar in theaters the first time around, so I’m excited it’s getting re-released. My son and I have tickets for Saturday. He loves the 3D experience and I’ve been talking up this movie for weeks.

Hopefully it’s still as visually awesome as it was in 2009.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. OscarMadison

@MisterCreosote, if you sometimes like a movie because it excites delight by being pretty, seeing Avatar as it was meant to be shown is going to peel back the flawed storytelling to reveal a whole new level of worldbuilding. Disney's Atlantis movies are more compelling narratives. Avatar is nearly three hours of the best ride you've never taken.

Th creators of all of the above probably owe some inspiration to Rene Laloux's Fantastic Planet (La Planet Sauvage.) Warning: There are flashing images.

12. OscarMadison

@Azrael, I've been watching the Morrison pieces and want to think about them a bit more.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted