1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the Bard goodies.

Whether or not Simmons' version of Frawley was accurate, he created a character I wanted to see more of amid the ping ponging egos.

Latest here courtesy of Mubi:

Two Days in New York This is Julie Delpy's followup to Two Days In Paris, which I haven't seen but have heard and read good things about. It's charming and silly and fluffy without making you feel like your frontal lobe is about to tear itself free and go hide in the coat closet. The pleasant surprise here is Chris Rock. His onscreen affect is usually some variation of aggrieved and shrieking. He's tamped it down and the result is a charming, relaxed performance.

Friendship's Death It might seem odd that a pas de deux set in war-torn Jordan is an elegant reflection on the human condition. Tilda Swinton's literally otherworldly "Friendship" is luminous, Tom Paterson's earthy, louche journalist is a perfect guide through 1970s Amman. Surprising, touching, and engaging.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

If Lucy and Desi didn’t have big egos they wouldn’t have been as great as they were
    I like the way they did it too by introducing how they met and how they got the show
    Plus props to Javier Bardem for singing Babalu and Cuban Pete

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Everybody was impressive. Bardem disappeared into Desi after a while.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Alternate title: The Ragu Story?

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Maybe already mentioned, but The Dirty Dozen on Netflix looks like it was shot yesterday. I don't know what they did, but it looks good.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

What a movie. Incredibly smart.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Saw Elvis tonight
    Austin Butler was great and the movie was excellent
    One thing that was reinforced
    Col. Tom Parker was one of the most vile, evil pieces of shit who ever has walked on the earth
    Just think how great Elvis would have been without him
    But Elvis couldn’t say no to Parker and that’s his fault

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Hoping to see this later this month at my local rep cinema.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  9. justgladtobehere

Friends of Eddie Coyle.

Based on the greatest crime novel ever written. I t think Ebert said Mitchum's accent was the best Boston accent in a movie.

The thing is, Killing Them Softly is a better representation of George Higgins writing.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I love a good bad Milla Jovovich action movie as much as anyone, so I tuned in to watch "Monster Hunter." Co-stars another longtime favorite of mine.....Ron Perlman! It was an okay, rainy day movie. This flick is one of many, many collabs between Milla and her husband, director Paul W.S. Anderson.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One thing led to another yesterday and I decided to watch Greenberg via YouTube. It's OK, with moments.

Squint just right and it's a mash-up of Herzog the book (the letter writing part, anyway) and Sideways the movie.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Worth a look but IMO trying too hard to be Moulin Rouge.

Draft saved Draft deleted