1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"To Time to Die"; very enjoyable Bond film; made me reevaluate as to whether Craig actually is better than Connery as Bond. Craig exudes confidence yet isn't as over-bearing or smug as Connery. Some great driving scenes in the old Aston-Martin, better than any video game. Great send-off to Craig's Bond. Still a little unclear on the overall plot though.

heyabbott, OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dune isn’t a story, it’s the prelude to a story. 2+ hours to introduce characters and the beginning of a plot.
    Don’t waste your time watching it until Part 2 comes out. And if it’s as slow as part one, there ought to be a Part 3&4.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It was the end of Paul and the beginning of Muad'Dib.

It's the logical place to split the story.

Much ass is kicked in the second half of the book.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Only 44 years late to "Kentucky Fried Movie," but glad I finally found it.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I hope you watched it with "total concentwation"!

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Always get the popcorn BEFORE the movie starts. And the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Watched it a couple months ago and still had most of the lines memorized and laughed like I did the first time I saw it as a 17 year old.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Saw American Utopia, the 2020 Spike Lee film of David Byrne performing with his band on Broadway.

Sometimes the most obvious comment is all you need to say. It's perfectly pleasant but no Stop Making Sense.

garrow likes this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched Black Widow. It was funny and Florence Pugh stole the show, but it wasn’t great. The fight between the sisters made no sense and the final scene was pretty ridiculous even for a Marvel film.

Not terrible, but below usual Marvel standards.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It doesn't look bad. Quite a few Easter Eggs throughout the trailer. I see a lot of questions about where this fits in with other movies. It certainly seems like it fits with both Venom and the MCU.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The original "Angels in the Outfield," 1951.

Holy hell, it was actually pretty good.
    The story was a little hokey in the semi spiritual vein of the era, but no more so than Field of Dreams, but the baseball action was actually pretty realistic for the time; they did a good job splicing in actual game footage with the close action shots. And most of the baseball situation strategy made sense.
    Since most of the action shots were done in Forbes Field, you actually got kind of a feel for the joint as a home park.

And the romance/ drama in the middle of the movie was pretty cool too. It could have been played a few different ways that would have left Guffy the manager looking pathetic, or they could have wrapped everything up with a lah dee dah wedding scene; instead it ended on an open-ended scene and you could imagine yourself how it all turned out.

Amazingly there was never any suggestion that 50-ish Guffy's interest in the 24-year-old women's section writer Jennifer (or for that matter the 8 year-old Bridget) was anything creepy.

Oh, PS: the subplot with Saul the grizzled old veteran pitcher turned out to be almost the highlight of the whole movie. I was also struck how much the actor, Bruce Bennett, resembled Chelcie Ross of later Major League, Hoosiers and Rudy fame.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted