1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I have now spent more than ten hours watching Zac Snyder's interpretation of various DC Comics characters.

This is - to be generous - five more hours than I've spent watching the films of Ingmar Bergman.

This is my life.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm grinding my way through the Snyder Cut -- I'm watching it in chapters, I ain't gonna sit through four hours of it.

It is much better than the Whedon version.

It explains a lot of the plot points Whedon just skipped over. Which leads to a four hour movie.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    heyabbott likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm about three hours into the Snyder Cut. I'm also watching in pieces. It's way too long for one sitting. This version makes a lot more sense than the theatrical cut. It is dramatically improved, but way too damn long.

Edit: I ended up finishing the movie. It really is so much better than what we got in 2017. Some additional characters add to the story. Even though it is much longer, it is still more efficient storytelling in some ways. I had read that the biggest change was Cyborg's storyline and that is true. Whedon absolutely ruined that character arc. This version nails it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    bigpern23 and heyabbott like this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Signal; wow provocative sci fi thriller well done hard to figure ending. Thumbs up

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We watched Minari last night. My wife loved the interplay of relationships and intimate view into immigrants’ everyday life and struggle.

I probably would have liked it more had I not spent the day in the attic sorting out house problems. I would have like something that left everything neatly resolved. Minari is very good and I think it’s odd that what is a very American story sometimes gets stuck in the foreign film category because characters use their native language when they’re away from English speakers.

qtlaw likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Watched it in two sittings.

Much better than the first, but it improved from dog shit to dog food (maybe Applebee’s) with Marvel still being the French Laundry.

The Flash is still an idiot. Superman and Batman are still totally unlikeable. Cyborg is barely likeable. Everything Aquaman does seems as forced as putting on jeans after COVID.

The introduction of new characters is awful. Hello... I’m this guy. Good bye.

Wonder Woman is still the best thing in the franchise by far, and they fucked up her last movie worse than Ted Cruz vacation.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is one area that the Snyder cut improves, the depiction of Wonder Woman. The first action sequence is better. The movie relies pretty heavily on the audience coming in with a great deal of good will toward Batman and Superman rather than earning either.

I like this version of Cyborg more than you do. I think that was a huge area of improvement.

That said, man, there is some serious navel gazing, especially the first hour or so.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I watched The Boondock Saints for the first time. It’s nice to come across a good movie you’ve never scene before. This was a fun movie.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Poochie the dog was better introduced than the person at the end.

And he’s a terrible Luthor.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Without spoiling too much, the end of the Snyder Cut rolls through a dream sequence outlining where Snyder apparently wanted to go in further films in the DC universe.

And it's gotta be said right here: WB/DC would be absolutely monkey shit insane if they allowed the storylines to progress very far in those directions, because it would involve the utter corruption of one of their biggest heroes and the ultimate humiliating defeat of the other, involving the brutal death of one of the main supporting characters.
    I mean yeah yeah of course you want to make the heroes fallible and subject to failure, but if your entire franchise involves your biggest heroes eventually becoming monsters, it seems like a waste of time.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Flip Wilson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted