1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

WW84 was dog shit, especially starting with the time setting. Who the hell is really pining for the '80s?

Plus, Wonder Woman the character was expressly invented in the setting of WWII. I could see throwing the curveball of setting the first movie in WWI -- that worked -- but now, by completely jumping past the time period, they've pretty much foreclosed the idea of doing one actually set in WWII.

Of course, putting any mega powerful hero, ie WW or Superman, into a WWII storyline begs the question, "millions of people died. Why didn't you put your world-shaking superpowers to work to stop it?," which I think is probably territory superhero movies want to stay out of.

PS: Once again, Gene Hackman sucked as Lex Luthor. Always did. A sleazy smarmy real estate huckster and corny cocktail lounge comedian who didn't really appear to even particularly dislike Superman very much.

PPS: WW84 also botched the big cameo appearance, although some of that was carried over from the first movie's failure...

... to cast Lynda Carter as Hippolyta in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Marvel also did -- and did very well -- a WWII superhero movie with the first Captain America. They even touched on what you mentioned about not using the guy with superpowers to actually fight the war. So maybe DC wanted to avoid doing something similar with Wonder Woman, lest they be accused of ripping off what was done in the MCU 10 years ago.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't know enough of Wonder Woman's history to know how this is handled in the comics. I know Captain America ending up in the ice is straight out of the comics.

4. outofplace

I have no problem at all with the cameo, or the casting issue you brought up. I'm guessing they wanted to keep that role small, which couldn't have happened if they did it your way.

Regarding the '80s, it's not as if this is a new thing. We got two G.I. Joe movies, with a third on the way. We get all this Transformers crap, and most of it really is crap. Stranger Things is set in the '80s, I think. We have all this Star Wars stuff, and that is late '70s and early '80s. You may not see the appeal, but we've seen plenty of pop culture nostalgia for that decade in the last 10 years or so.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't know Wonder Woman's history either. Just pointing out that they might have looked at Captain America and the MCU and decided to tweak or avoid some plot ideas with a character that had a similar time-displaced theme. DC is already trying to live up to the high bar of the MCU. They don't need to be accused of plagiarizing ideas on top of it.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It’s also become a bit of a crutch for writers to set their stories before cell phones were widely available. Many challenges faced by characters on film and TV are easily solved by smartphones. Eighty percent of Seinfeld’s plots wouldn’t work if the show was made today.

7. outofplace

That is a good point. The mall scene alone, there would have been 100 videos of her online if it was set in the modern day.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A Vast of Night on Amazon Prime. Cool little indie sci-fi flick, incredibly shot and lighted. Lots of tracking shots and light manipulation. Great way to spend 90 minutes, would recommend.

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Generation Wealth Lauren Greenfield's The Queen of Versailles was trainwreck viewing. I was eager to see her second feature after finding out her academic training was primarily in visual anthropology. She has the same problem Jon Krakauer suffers from in that she cannot keep herself out of the story. She does fieldwork and blames the environment and the people she goes to study when it is obvious she was not particularly interested in learning about them in the first place. Who gets National Geographic money to do fieldwork in Mexico and doesn't bother to learn Spanish? Neither she of the gummy, sad smile nor her mother who does that same creepy smile while she's verbally tearing someone to pieces come off particularly well.

I ended up watching Disney sing-alongs as a palate cleanser. Also, I want to hook up Josh Gad with some of my guy-friends.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

MLK/FBI - wanted to like it, but in hindsight way more Hoover than MLK, strange as that may seem.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of these stories and other retrospectives on Animal House before - but this is a fantastic collection of anecdotes about the making of Animal House.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Denzel and Leto, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted