1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

At that point, I was hoping, in homage to "2001," that a renegade computer would hurl a menacing space pod at one of them.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Scrolled through "sports movies" on Amazon Prime last night, looked like a whole bunch of mediocrity so I settled on "North Dallas Forty," which I had never seen all the way through. The owner of the North Dallas Bulls had a little Jerry Jones in him, 10 years before Jerry Jones.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wonder Woman 1984. Had some worthwhile moments and Gadot is stunningly gorgeous, but overall not very good. Maybe a C-.

Pedro Pascal was fun as Max Lord and really leaned into the Gekko role well.

The plot left a lot to be desired and seemed to practically be designed solely to bring back Chris Pine’s character. In the context of the plot, his return makes sense, but it really felt unnecessary and left Diana’s character kind of spinning her wheels.

One thing that I’m not positive of, but I think it’s the case, is that Minerva gets theme music that I believe is Wonder Woman’s theme played backwards. It plays when she beats up the drunk. If so, I thought it was a nice touch, but I can’t find confirmation.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I didn't go into it with any expectations one way or the other, but I thought the new Wonder Woman was genuinely terrible. That final scene with the villain was painfully bad and had to have been dreadful to film for the actors.

I watched the DB Cooper doc on HBO Max tonight and it was quite good. That's a story I've always found pretty fascinating.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would be cool if that's what happened. I can't say I was paying close enough attention to notice that type of detail.

It's funny. I went looking for it and found one explanation of the end in which the reviewer claimed that the fate of Minerva is unclear. It's not. It is very clear, at least in terms of surviving or not.

6. bigpern23

It was a second viewing with the kids, so I was a little more observant to the subtle touches (or maybe looking too hard, who knows?).

Also, I enjoyed the invisible jet and the end credits scene.

There were plenty of eye rolling moments, the CGI was pretty bad in some spots, and some things were poorly explained.

Minerva’s character development was earned, but I didn’t particularly buy Kristen Wiig in the role.

7. outofplace

I actually liked Wiig's performance. It was Pascal that annoyed the hell out of me. I know the character is supposed to be annoying, but damn, it was so over the top.

I have to put that on the script. He was too good on Game of Thrones and he is too good on The Mandalorian for me to think it was just bad work by him.

I agree that the CGI looked really bad in some spots. I also agree on the invisible jet, though the explanation from it came out of nowhere. I imagine that was among the things you thought were poorly explained. The end credits scene was fun.

I doubt I will be watching it again. I did go back to check the final scene to see if I could spot Gal Gadot's husband and children.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Netflix queue had an oldie but goodie: "Bonnie and Clyde," so I finally watched it.

It was entertaining ... and I find it fascinating that, in 1967, it earned an "R" rating. It had to be for what was (for that time) the violent and somewhat realistic gun battles. There was no nudity and almost no swear words in the movie (at most, maybe a "Goddammit!"). Sex was implied a few times, but never shown.

That movie would be rated PG if it came out today.

9. bigpern23

I didn’t notice the hubby, but the kids are the ones who threw snowballs at her.

Wiig’s performance was fine, I just don’t buy her in the role. I just don’t think she pulls off sexy or the other parts of her character well. Credit to her, I did buy her motivation and thought she did a good job there.

I liked Pascal. He felt like a throwback to Hackman’s Luthor before Jesse Eisenberg wrecked the character.

And I’ll say this for the film, the actors brought some fun to it, which is sorely lacking in a lot of the DCEU entries.

10. outofplace

As I wrote before, it was DC's attempt at something like Thor: Ragnarok. They just didn't do it nearly as well.

I can certainly see the comparison to Hackman's Luthor, but I still don't think DC has ever managed a good Lex Luthor in live-action. Give me the Timmverse animated version with the voice of Clancy Brown over Hackman, Spacey, or Eisenberg. Hell, give me Michael Rosenbaum's version on Smallville over Spacey or Eisenberg.

11. bigpern23

I grew up on the Hackman version, so he’s kind of the gold standard to me. I liked Rosenbaum as well. Haven’t seen the Clancy Brown version.

12. outofplace

You've never seen Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, or Justice League Unlimited?

Brown provided Luthor's voice for all of those series. They are fantastic, though Luthor only had a handful of appearances on Batman: TAS.

I grew up on Hackman's performances, too. I just like Brown's better.

Draft saved Draft deleted