1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Watched "Inherit the Wind," the 1960 film about the a 1925 case for and against a teacher broaching the subject of evolution in his classroom.

It was a tour de force by...well, just about everybody in it. But especially Spencer Tracy. I'd seen the movie once before, apparently when very young, because I'd completely forgotten that the teacher was played by Dick York, who I really only remembered/recognize from "Bewitched".

Some of these old movies were/are just so good -- much better than a lot of the drek that's produced today.

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Part of it was back then it BEGAN with the script - now scripts are being written as they film to fill the time between action/CGI sequences.

maumann likes this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

To quote Jerry-atric:): That is a very good point.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I watched "Passengers" last night with the wife, which is just creepy as all get out. I still can't wrap my head around the legal and ethical ramifications, let alone the Stockholm Sydrome ending.

If you switch the premise to "male and female have pods malfunction and work together to save doomed starship, realizing they can't return to hibernation but fall in love," then perhaps the plot device works. Even then, the spacesuit walk in a stream of nuclear reactive material only to be saved from death by a medical robot without suffering massive cellular damage is pretty farfetched.

I did like the idea of what happens if you're swimming when gravity fails and you wind up in a huge water droplet, trapped by surface tension.

But "lonely guy decides to ruin someone else's life, too" doesn't really scream date movie to me somehow.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You can't spell "Irresistible" without "terrible."

maumann likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"The Old Guard" on Netflix is pretty good. It's the first of a projected trilogy, and they'll do the follow ups because it is both popular and a good film. Charlize Theron has worked herself into a legit action movie star and is nearly on a level with Keanu. "Atomic Blonde", "Fury Road", and "The Old Guard" are all extremely solid actioners.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I liked it, too. I did think the “new” person seemed out of place as an actress. She just wasn’t as strong at her craft as everyone around her.

9. Neutral Corner

She was adequate. Some scenes were stronger than the others. I can be pretty picky and she wasn't making me talk to the TV. Admittedly I tend to do that more about poor writing and plot holes than about an actor's performance, but I didn't find her bad enough to set me off.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think any actress working next to Theron needs to really be strong or the gap is noticeable.

The scene with the mortal and them explaining themselves to the new woman showed a huge gap as well.

I do like the direction they ended with.

11. Neutral Corner

That subplot was imaginative and horrifying.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Artemis fowl... Not as good as I wanted it to be

Draft saved Draft deleted