1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Vast of Night

Decent film.

Amazing director.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watched All That Jazz. Put it in my cue after watching Fosse/Verdon. First off, Roy Schieder is amazing in it and I've always thought he was one of the more underrated actors of his generation. Secondly, I can't imagine how weird it was to shoot that movie not only being directed by the guy who it's about (Fosse), features his girlfriend (Reinking) playing "Gideon's" girlfriend and the other actors like Leland Palmer playing people they also know quite well. The girl who plays Fosse's kid is great in it.

garrow likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched Jon Stewart's "Irresistible" with Steve Carell and Rose Byrne last night. Very good movie with a few flaws, but overall enjoyable to watch.

garrow likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Harlan Ellison: Dreams With Sharp Teeth" on Amazon. Brilliant, acerbic man. I really enjoyed this film. Legendary writer, wrote arguably the best Outer Limits and Star Trek scripts and a ton of speculative fiction.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Da 5 Bloods. Just because a subject is worthy of being told doesn't excuse you from making a cartoon out of it.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. DanOregon

Ford v. Ferrari was better than I expected. And I expected it to be great. The script did an amazing job of balancing the human and the technical. The supporting roles - Ray McKinnon, Josh Lucas, and Hill's family really delivered in each of their scenes. And the photography, shot framing, look and editing were to stunning. I can't believe Pitt and Cruise were initially lined up for it. Pitt could have been a good Shelby - no way would Cruise have worked as Hill. (Maybe stuff like that is just something they tell investors to get them to open their wallets).

garrow and Severian like this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hamilton on Disney plus; great show. Wife loves the music.

8. DanOregon

I too was expecting/hoping for more of a film relating the black experience in Vietnam - but then there was the Kelly's Heroes, Deliverance thing, maybe even a little City Slickers aspect to it. Netflix once again makes the case for studio executives demanding directors deliver a shorter cut.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

"Molly's Game." Pretty good. It was 2-1/2 hours but it grabbed me and held me until the end. I knew nothing of this movie previously. I was surprised to find out that her brother is Jeremy Bloom. I was aware of him as an Olympic skier and football player.
    I am intrigued by poker a little bit, only because my Dad liked it. I have no desire to play. I figure that if I sit at a table with eight other people, I'm going to be the ninth-best player there. If I have the best cards, I want to win. That doesn't always happen in poker.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's funny, whenever this movie comes up I think of this stuff. One, her dad taught my favorite class I took in college. Two, she sat next to me in a class one time and I don't have any idea why I remember it other than it was the professor's daughter in a class I loved and she was part of that day's presentation. Three, I completely missed any of this happened despite this being a fairly famous family in our area, especially because of Jeremy Bloom but for other reasons the movie does hit at least a little on, until the movie came out. Then I didn't even watch the movie until stuck in quarantine. But I did enjoy it, even more so for all the dumb connections.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It’s funny that we gravitate toward movies we can relate to. Near the beginning of “2012“, when they are leaving the small airport, I could almost see my Dad’s house. If they panned back another inch or so, it was there. Lots of the L.A. cop shows are around neighborhoods I know. The Zach Efron movie “17 Again” was filmed at my high school.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Hamilton. Saw it a few years ago, a couple of months after many in the original cast departed. Loved seeing all the role originators.

The soundtrack is in my regular rotation, but i picked up a few new things on seeing it again.

What a brilliant piece of work.

Draft saved Draft deleted