1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

“Da 5 Bloods,” the latest from Spike Lee on Netflix, is an emotionally wrenching ride. It’s a fairly rare perspective from black soldiers during the Vietnam War. The scars that the war inflicted on one of the main characters and his struggle to cope haunts throughout. There’s also a treasure hunt/heist storyline.

It’s bloody and disturbing at times, so I wouldn’t suggest it for sensitive family viewing. I think that the powerful performances, often from actors with whom I was unfamiliar, overcome the occasional somewhat clumsy or preachy moments. The movie spurred important discussion with our 18-year-old son.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Knives Out

Good, not great.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The film as a whole was a very nice presentation of the Vietnam War experience from the frontline soldier POV. I very much appreciate their contributions and for those of you younger, you may not realize how demonized and ignored the Vietnam Vets were upon their return. They were shunned and wrongly blamed for the atrocities and failures in Vietnam. Yet another reason why I feel the "Patriotic" Fervor that pervades our society these days is so fake. "Where were you (those Confederate flag wavers and your family members) in the 60's and 70's? Were you spitting on those Vets?"

I disliked one of the plot lines and think it would have been a much tighter movie without it, which is why it makes me give it 4 instead of five stars (out of 5).

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How do you make a 2 hour murder mystery? The film was meandering and had to explain everything at the end.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If this was released in the theaters as a movie it wins multiple Oscars.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Meh.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Watched Molly's Game last night.
    I still have a hard time seeing Cera in these movies now, and still remembering him as Evan in Superbad.
    The only other rack I wanted to see other than the chips was Chastain's.........but I digress.....
    Good flick.
    5 out of 8 3/4 toes.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It's still far better than Knives Out.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Because I have to, Porkys was written by the same guy who directed the original Black Christmas as well as A Christmas Story.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

She’s one of the great actors and by every account I’ve ever heard great to work with. Chooses well, too.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

War Dogs.

If Jonah Hill can be an Oscar-nominated movie star, I am conviced I can win a Pulitzer.

Garner likes this.
  12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Sherlock has the advantage of being a multi-episode series, while Knives Out was a self-contained movie. Apples to oranges.

Draft saved Draft deleted