1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I watched Mr. Right last night. Stars Anna Kendrick and Sam Rockwell. He's a hit man for hire, she's the new girlfriend...his career gets in the way of a relationship. Not an award-winner by any means, but it was an entertaining way to spend 135 minutes. I laughed out loud several times.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Ford vs. Ferrari. Really enjoyed it. Not a gearhead, so all new to me. Excellent performances.

Gonna watch a Netflix doc on Carroll Shelby tonight.

garrow likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

TAG - I found it well-within the Atlanta-shot "minivan" comedy canon featuring middle-age people (usually white) being goofy and immature (See also Blockers, Bad Moms, Office Christmas Party, Game Night et. al). Usually some very funny moments with a heart-felt denoument that tend not to add up to much in the end. Tag did have some great use of slo-mo going for it and solid performances.

The Last Movie Star - Burt deserved better. I guess casting Chevy Chase as Reynold's character's "best friend" was meant to imply he didn't have any real friends and was kind of a jerk.

The Sisters Brothers - It's rare to come across a movie you know little about except that its a western with John C. Riley, Joaquin Phoenix and Jake Gyllenhaal. A really enjoyable movie. Part of the fun is seeing the story unfold so I won't give any plot points. I will say it was the rare movie where I didn't know where it was headed - and was fine with that because it was so well made, great to look at and the characters so rich.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

135 minutes? Christ, it better be the best film ever if I’m gonna sit there that long. Movie sweet spot is about 100 minutes, leaving no time for filler but plenty of time to tell a good story.

5. Flip Wilson

My bad, dawg. It's 1 hour, 35 minutes, NOT 135 minutes.

6. Flip Wilson

Just finished this as well. If it wasn't so late at my house with kids already in bed, I would crank up some ZZ Top on the Bluetooth speaker and rattle some windows.

The story of the show in Alvin was great.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I enjoyed some ZZ Top growing up in the 70’s and then the 80’s.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Parasite.

Wow, did I not get the point.

Very overrated. Trump was right, it should never have won an Oscar.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

1917 - Solid movie - the tension was non-stop. The biggest surprise to me was the amount of visual effects (judging by the credits) - nothing obvious as far as I could see, other than perhaps an animal or two and a couple of sequences. Deakins' camera work was amazing - particularly how little room there was to operate in the trenches. Reminded me a lot of Saving Private Ryan.

Edit - apparently the visual effects (which also won the Oscar) were mostly stitching the scenes together.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed Yesterday, the story of the only guy who knew Beatles music.

bigpern23 and ChrisLong like this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I watched Bumblebee only because it was free on Amazon Prime. I am very much a child of the '80s, so this should be in my wheelhouse. It wasn't bad. I like that they went with Transformers that look a little more like the comics and animation from the '80s. The movie still has the same problem as every other Transformers movie. The parts of the story with the human beings keep getting in the way. I didn't care about the family dynamic of Bumblebee's human friend. There were all these references to her skill as a diver and they did have a big dive at the end, but it accomplished absolutely nothing. They really wanted to make her special skill relevant to the story, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

I will admit that even though I knew "You've Got the Touch" was coming at some point, it still made me smile.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I've had next to no interest in the Transformers franchise since it began, but I gave this a shot because I've been a fan of Hailee Steinfelt since I saw her in "True Grit," and, admittedly, I'm always willing to give something a chance if it has John Cena in it. Like you said, not bad. Some good action and humor there. I didn't really think about it at the time, but, yeah, they did kinda shoehorn the diving thing into it.

Draft saved Draft deleted